Skip to main content

"A man's enemies will be the members of his own household" Matt 10:36

Recently we have been pondering how to deal with situations in our family that don't line up with the word.
What action do we need to take?  Are we being too harsh?  Do we accept the behaviour or be considered by those around us as "too radical" or "too black and white"?  "Where is grace in all of this?
How do we love the sinner but hate the sin?  What about forgiveness?  What is the role of discipline?   What makes that sin any worse than lying?  What is true love?  And there are a lot more questions going through the mind in how to work through this and know God's will and desire for the situation and the person.

And firstly to say we have not come to any conclusions and are growing and learning day by day in this but I want to throw it out there.
In Matt 10:34-39 says "Do not suppose that I have come to bring peace to the earth.  I did not come to bring peace, but a sword.  For I have come to turn "a man against his father, a daughter against her mother, a daughter-in-law again her mother-in-law, a man's enemies will be the members of his own household."  Anyone who loves his father or mother more than me is not worthy of me: anyone who loves his son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me and anyone who does not take his cross and follow me is not worthy of me.


I have often been challenged by this scripture and in fact challenged others with this as they have faced various situations and questions in their own life.  When our daughter Kate was 10, the Lord called us to what others considered a pretty extreme action but one in which we knew the Lord had asked us to do and that was for her to go to a boarding school in Thailand.  We were living in China at the time.  She was an only child (not by choice) so as you can imagine this took a huge toll on us all.  But the Lord had given a vision and he had said that in order for that vision to be fulfilled, we had to sacrifice our only child.  Now many may judge that - (and did), but we know what the Lord spoke and we stepped out in faith on that, trusting that God knows the plans, both for us and for her.  God spoke to me at the time about the story of Joseph and although Kate would go through many trials, she would come through it and into a place of prominence.  And I still very much believe this, yet through that journey she did have some huge struggles & continues to, but I know it is shaping her to be the woman God has called her to be.

I have learnt that often in our own homes as the scripture says above that "A man's enemies will be the members of his own household" why - because we love them the most and for us to make stands that might mean we lose our children, our parents or whatever relationship we have with them, is a huge deal and we don't want to take that stand out of fear or whatever reason.  We are called as Christians to live a life that lives up with the word, to be standard bearers in a world where the standards are not even seen.  We are called to be a people that stand up for truth, justice, righteousness etc.  But often we are given over to compromise for the sake of relationship.

We live in a world where living with one's partner is the accepted norm.  Where internet porn is common place.  Where homosexuality and lesbian relationships are legally married.  Where everything we watch on television has some sexual content to it.  Where putting down people, gossip and judgement are everyday soap opera shows.  Where sarcasm is considered how we love people yet it is a form of cutting people down.  Where respect to elders is non-existent.  Where anger or raising your voice is a way of getting what we want done.  Where foul language is part of a sentence.

We are called to completely the opposite of the ways of the world.  We are called to transform societies to the ways of the Kingdom.  Yet people in our families and ourselves included, at times go down paths that the world promotes as acceptable and the norm.  We often don't know where to draw the line.  What makes disrespect, rebellion & swearing any different than homosexuality and so on.

None of us have all the answers.  All of us are learning and growing in grace and forgiveness.   One thing I am learning is that without grace,  I fall into judgement and condemnation of others.   In Romans it says "Where sin abounds, grace abounds all the more".  I am learning that I am not perfect, that I don't have all the answers.  God continues to constantly remind me of my own sins, of my own weaknesses, why - so that I can give grace to others and also so I can grow in righteousness.  Because without his forgiveness of my mistakes I am no better than anyone else.  Even with his forgiveness of my sins I am still no better than anyone else.  We are all equal in his eyes.  The Lord's prayer talks about "Forgive me as I forgive others their sins" - this is a daily prayer.

I do want to encourage you to ponder the standards the Lord has set and how we bring these standards into our homes & lives in a way that brings grace and honour to the people the Lord has entrusted us with or put around us.  To love in such a way that that love leads to repentance.  As you become a standard bearer where people stop themselves mid sentence swearing/gossiping etc as they know what you stand for.    That his perfect love casts out all fear in such a way it brings change because people feel safe to be who they are, right where they are at and yet want to change.  How to discipline without bringing fear & judgement because what father who loves his children does not discipline?

As I say, I have not yet fully mastered this so if you are praying please pray for us as well in this.  We want to be people who are known as people who follow the Lord both in word and in action.
With love,

Popular posts from this blog

Latest Prayer Update

Since writing last – We continue to pray about the tent meeting but the Lord seems to continue to have that on hold as I believe he has another way of doing the same thing but in a new way where the whole body will be used and so we wait until all the pieces come together.   Please be patient with us in this. Africa – We continue to have words given to us about Africa and so the Lord is definitely talking about Africa but he seems to be widening the vision with it all, not just Malawi.   It seems more like at this stage visiting a number of African Countries wherever the Lord leads, empowering people – a bit like the last China trip but for longer and more countries and so too we wait for all the pieces to fit together. He has said to have our bags packed ready to go at a moments notice and so we have done that by faith, there are just a few other things that need to come together to make this possible.    Picton – We were blessed to be part of a team that we...

Do you have time for breakfast?

I had this dream last night where I saw my sister busy working in her restaurant.  She had advertised in the paper and she was so busy she had no time for her family.  I was sitting eating breakfast with my other sister feeling almost lazy in comparison with the first sister, but knowing that I was not lazy, but busy too in a different way.  I had no idea when she would have time for her family.  She was doing what she loved, she was bringing people into her restaurant and it was going really well, but her family life was suffering. In pondering on this, it speaks for itself really.  But added to that is that we can often compare with one another or judge one another in the way things are being done.  I think regularly of Nehemiah these days and how we are all called to rebuild the wall, but we all have different parts of the wall we are called to build and look after and each part is important to the whole wall.  So lets please as a body of Christ, ...

Will you play the piano - will you spit and touch a man's toungue?

We had our worship group the other night and to begin with I saw someone playing the playing so I asked if anyone could and would play the piano because that is what I saw happening in the spirit.  I may have been wrong in the what I saw but I stepped out in faith but alas no one stepped forward to play the piano so Jim played it and I believe in this the Lord was teaching us some valuable lessons.  Jim cannot play the piano at all but he was willing to be used. This morning I was reading in Mark 7:32-35  "There some people brought to him a man who was deaf and could hardly talk, and they begged him to place his hand on the man...    Jesus put his fingers into the man's ears.  Then he spit and touched the man's tongue.  He looked up to heaven and with a deep sigh said to him "Ephphatha!" (which means, "Be opened!).  At this the man's ears were opened, his tongue was loosened and he began to speak plainly. I was reminded of the other night ...

2 Chronicles 20 The Fear of a King

Yesterday I listened to a wonderful message from the Bethel weekly sermons on the Creative power of Thanksgiving. It was so good and something I talked a little about on Wednesday about giving thanks in all circumstances and how that changes our circumstances.  These are some of my thoughts as I searched the scriptures he brought; He talked from 2 Chron 20 about how Jehosphophat (King) feared the armies that were coming against him. Here was a king who was afraid. That gave me great encouragement right there, if a King can be afraid, then it's okay too if I am. I know for myself I am often afraid of things that I see coming and I don't know how to handle it. Neither did Jehosophophat and so he called all the people together and sought the Lord.  First position in our place of fear is to seek the Lord.  Verse 12 "For we have no power against the great multitude that is coming against us, nor do we know what to do, but our eyes are upon you." So often we don't kn...

GRM Call to prayer - "Who will weep for the Bride?"

Something I realised in my recent trip away to the Canterbury region is again the confirmation and call of my heart to see the bride raised up to be who she is called to be. A pure spotless bride who is ready for her beloved and walking in everything He has promised us as His authority here on the earth.  I realised afresh as I listen to different people, hear and see different reasons as to why people aren't going to church, or perhaps have recently moved churches for some reason, basically peoples hurts and frustrations regarding 'Church', that there is a disconnect in how people see things and how the word of the Lord the bible teaches us in how we ought to love one another and forgive one another.  Hence why we are seeing a 'powerless' church.  The word says that if we bite and devour one another we will be destroyed (Gal 5:15) All of us have a heart and passion, yours might be for the lost, it might be for the single parents, or the sick, etc. but the Lord...

Assuming motives can be dangerous.

Reading 2 Sam 10 this morning and what struck me was how something so simple that was supposed to bless and encourage someone, can be totally taken the wrong way and in that, cause major damage. In this story King David is wanting to express kindness to Hanun whose father had died.   But Hanna’s nobles, those close around him, spoke to him and suggested that in fact he wasn’t wanting to express sympathy at the death of his father, but rather exploring and spying out the city in order to overthrow it.   Because of this, they attack those who are sent on behalf of King David and shame them and in return, David retaliates. Ki ng David’s heart was to bless and to honour another King, but after that King Hanun listened to those around him, who planted thoughts other than those of David’s, and in the process caused a war. How often do we not take things as face value but try to work something out according to the way we see it, rather than perhaps the way i...