Skip to main content

Journeys in life we are called to do alone


There are things that we have to journey in life that can be very lonely places.  Places where we feel that nobody else understands how we feel.  Places where we hurt, where we struggle, where we question.

For many of us that will look different for each one of us at different times of our lives.  Some of these areas of loneliness are:
Grief - Death of someone close to you
Singleness and wanting to be married
Abuse – sexual, verbal
Our beliefs and standing up for them when no one else understands or believes
Infertility
Wanting children but unable to have them for whatever reason
Relationships
Temptations
Hurt
Fear
Financial ruin
Health & physical issues

These are just some of the areas that come to mind for me and I am sure most of you can relate to an area in some way but there will be other areas as well.

These are places where we cry out to God or to whoever will hear our cry.  Places like Hannah in 1 Samuel 1:10 where in “bitterness of soul Hannah wept much and prayed to the Lord”.  They are places where in our soul there is a bitterness, or a grief, a struggle, that can overwhelm us and in these places what do we do, where do we go for help?

For many of us we go to our friends and cry out for help but often this can be a place where we feel let down by people.  They don’t seem to understand our pain, our struggle, or for whatever reason they don’t see it.  For Hannah in her pain she wept and cried out to the Lord.  For me I have cried out to people but have learnt that they can only temporarily, if at all, ease my pain and so I have learnt that for complete understanding and a way forward I have had to go to the Lord.
But in learning to take it to him, I find relief, I find rest, I find peace.  Although the situation may not go away, the assurance that God knows my pain, knows my need, knows my desires and that I can trust in him to work things together for good, gives me the strength I need to continue on. 

Some of these journeys in life are very lonely journeys but it is through these times where we find where our strength comes from.  We are not alone.   The Lord knows our pain, understands our struggle and is with us in our time of need.  He is always there even when we can’t feel him, touch him, hear him or see him.

People can try and help and will often say things in this time that are from their heart, words that can help direct us, but when we are in these places often we don’t hear them as we are so downcast and cannot see a way out sometimes.

There are many lonely experiences for people shown throughout the bible that we can relate too in our own experiences; 

Esther was called to be queen and to step forward in a situation that only she could change through courage and a willingness to put her life on the line, even though there were people standing with her in prayer.  She was very alone in stepping forward.

Abraham was called by God to bring Isaac as a sacrifice, a very harrowing journey for any parent but because of his trust in his God, he could walk it.

Job and the loss of everything around him.
Hannah in barrenness
David in the death of a child and the struggles of temptation of sexual sin.
And the list goes on.

All of these stories in the bible give us strength to walk our journey and show us that it is alright to experience the pain and suffering that we sometimes feel, the questionings of why etc.  That we don’t have to have it all together, all of the time.  That as it says in Ecclesiastes, there is a time and season for everything but that everything is made beautiful in its time.
The Bible is full of hope that helps us in our time of need.  In our journey that we feel where no one understands our struggle, we can go to some of these stories and find people that can relate with our experience and the way through that the Lord has brought into their lives which encourage us on in the place we are in.

May the Lord strengthen you with all grace in your journeys in life that are a place of difficulty.




Popular posts from this blog

Do you have time for breakfast?

I had this dream last night where I saw my sister busy working in her restaurant.  She had advertised in the paper and she was so busy she had no time for her family.  I was sitting eating breakfast with my other sister feeling almost lazy in comparison with the first sister, but knowing that I was not lazy, but busy too in a different way.  I had no idea when she would have time for her family.  She was doing what she loved, she was bringing people into her restaurant and it was going really well, but her family life was suffering. In pondering on this, it speaks for itself really.  But added to that is that we can often compare with one another or judge one another in the way things are being done.  I think regularly of Nehemiah these days and how we are all called to rebuild the wall, but we all have different parts of the wall we are called to build and look after and each part is important to the whole wall.  So lets please as a body of Christ, ...

Latest Prayer Update

Since writing last – We continue to pray about the tent meeting but the Lord seems to continue to have that on hold as I believe he has another way of doing the same thing but in a new way where the whole body will be used and so we wait until all the pieces come together.   Please be patient with us in this. Africa – We continue to have words given to us about Africa and so the Lord is definitely talking about Africa but he seems to be widening the vision with it all, not just Malawi.   It seems more like at this stage visiting a number of African Countries wherever the Lord leads, empowering people – a bit like the last China trip but for longer and more countries and so too we wait for all the pieces to fit together. He has said to have our bags packed ready to go at a moments notice and so we have done that by faith, there are just a few other things that need to come together to make this possible.    Picton – We were blessed to be part of a team that we...

Will you play the piano - will you spit and touch a man's toungue?

We had our worship group the other night and to begin with I saw someone playing the playing so I asked if anyone could and would play the piano because that is what I saw happening in the spirit.  I may have been wrong in the what I saw but I stepped out in faith but alas no one stepped forward to play the piano so Jim played it and I believe in this the Lord was teaching us some valuable lessons.  Jim cannot play the piano at all but he was willing to be used. This morning I was reading in Mark 7:32-35  "There some people brought to him a man who was deaf and could hardly talk, and they begged him to place his hand on the man...    Jesus put his fingers into the man's ears.  Then he spit and touched the man's tongue.  He looked up to heaven and with a deep sigh said to him "Ephphatha!" (which means, "Be opened!).  At this the man's ears were opened, his tongue was loosened and he began to speak plainly. I was reminded of the other night ...

2 Chronicles 20 The Fear of a King

Yesterday I listened to a wonderful message from the Bethel weekly sermons on the Creative power of Thanksgiving. It was so good and something I talked a little about on Wednesday about giving thanks in all circumstances and how that changes our circumstances.  These are some of my thoughts as I searched the scriptures he brought; He talked from 2 Chron 20 about how Jehosphophat (King) feared the armies that were coming against him. Here was a king who was afraid. That gave me great encouragement right there, if a King can be afraid, then it's okay too if I am. I know for myself I am often afraid of things that I see coming and I don't know how to handle it. Neither did Jehosophophat and so he called all the people together and sought the Lord.  First position in our place of fear is to seek the Lord.  Verse 12 "For we have no power against the great multitude that is coming against us, nor do we know what to do, but our eyes are upon you." So often we don't kn...

Infestation of bugs on the wall....

This morning I had a quick picture the Lord showed me.  We had some bugs on the wall and he showed me it didn't take much to get rid of them, just needed to spray them and they would die.  But as I asked the Lord with Jim in prayer as to where these bugs came from and why they had got into our house, the Lord showed us an area in our lives where we had a little bit of unbelief. I share this picture with you as so easily something small can get into your 'house' like fleas and unless untreated it can become an infestation that is harder to deal with than if you dealt with it straight away.  The Lord showed us an area that needed a slight adjustment in our speaking and in our thinking that had allowed these very subtle if not slightly smiling bugs (deception) into our home.  It was easy to deal with through repentance and realigning our thinking with what the words says and it was no big deal, the bugs were dealt with and killed and our wall once again was made clean...

My grace is sufficient.

Yesterday I had three pictures; One, people came bringing bad news. The second, others had been offended and shut me out. And the third, I was on a airport runway and another plane tried to take me off the runway before I could lift off and go where I was going, but I was able to get away from it. As I prayed about these pictures the Lord had given me I believed he said to me; “Be careful who you listen to and go with.  Things are going to try and bring discouragement and shut you out and they will try to take you off track but keep focused.  Build my church”. So discouragement and obstacles are trying to get in the way of the purposes of God being fulfilled in my life and those around me and hence why I share what the Lord showed me because I believe for many in this season of change right now, hold onto what you believe God has said over you and don’t allow the enemy to abort the promises in your life. Something over the last several weeks that keeps c...