Skip to main content

Step Up & Step In - Fan into flame the gift of God 2 Tim 1:6

The mini conference that we are having at Life Church is titled "Step Up & Step In" - why?  Because we believe the Lord is calling for the charge to go forth.  There is an army ready and waiting to move forth together in the power of God to see transformation come into our nation.  And I believe that now is the time that He is calling those who believe to stand up in what they believe and step up into it by faith and action and see what He will do.

It is no longer a time of needing to know your salvation is in Him which is all good and necessary but there is a call for maturity happening at the moment to take our salvation, everything that the Lord has deposited into us and step into seeing His Kingdom come here on earth as it is in Heaven.  We have a responsibility as children of God, as sons and daughters of the Kingdom to make His Kingdom known.  He has given us - you and I - the earth as our inheritance to rule and reign over and now he is saying to take hold of everything I have taught you and take what is rightfully yours.   We have been found by him and we are found in him and now he is saying rise up people of God and take hold of the authority that I have given you and step out by faith and speak to those people who don't know him, to rise up and lay hands on the sick and believe for them to be healed, to set the captives free.  To speak with truth into injustice etc etc.

2 Tim 1:6 says "For this reason I remind you to fan into flame the gift of God, which is in you through the laying on my hands.  For God did not give us a spirit of timidity, but a spirit of power, of love and of self-discipline.  So do not be ashamed to testify about our Lord, or ashamed of me his prisoner.  But join with me in suffering for the gospel, by the power of God, has has saved us and called us to a holy life - not because of anything we have done but because of his own purpose and grace...."


Something the Lord is showing me at the moment is that as I step out sometimes having nothing in mind or thought or feeling but step out in faith that his power is released in a powerful way.  It is no longer about me, what I feel, what I have or don't have, but simply a knowledge that God has it all, that God can do it all, that God knows what he wants done in a situation.  I simply have to act in faith and step out literally and then I see His Kingdom come in way that just excites me and blows me away.

I love to preach.  I used to have really good sermons with a three point plan type thing.  But now I struggle to do anything like that as I lend more and more on the spirits leading believing that God will give me what I need when I need it.  There are times now when we are going to preach somewhere and I have done everything I can in preparation, I have prayed, sought the Lord on the word, everything for a couple of weeks prior to going, but the Lord has not given me anything to actually speak on. Then the morning I go the Lord may give me a dream which speaks straight into situations and we see really exciting things happen in a way that I never would have dreamt.  In this I have had to come to a rest and a peace that God will give me what I need when I need it.  We pray in the Lords prayer for the Lord to give us our daily bread - this is actually a prayer I believe for his provision for us for the day.  We have all sorts of needs and we need his provision in everything and if we believe that and step out believing he will give us what we need when we need it, we will see God move in ways we never expected or dreamt.  

Last week we had a man arrive at our home to sell insulation.  It was Gods appointment for us for that day.  It was so special.   He spoke into our lives and we spoke into his.  I felt the Lord say "Bless the man, ask him how you could pray for him" and so I stepped out in faith and asked him and we were honoured and blessed as he shared his story and how we could pray for him.  It was a very powerful time and a time where I know the Lord worked powerfully showing His love for this man.  But I had to step out on what I believed the Lord said to me and as I did, the man shared his heart and his needs.   So many people come into our lives and every one of them have needs that we can stand together in, but sometimes we just need to step over the "chicken line" and ask the questions, and out of that relationships are formed, seeds of the Kingdom are sown, and we look foward knowing that those seeds will bear fruit in due season.   

God brings people into our lives, whether its the man selling insulation, whether its the woman selling Life Insurance, whether its the Jehovah's Witness that comes to our door, whether its the workmate in the cubicle next door to us, whether its our family members - all are opportunities for Gods love to meet their needs through us.  And as Paul says in Timothy above, he did not give us a spirit of timidity but a spirit of power, of love and of self-discipline.  I want to encourage you today that it is no longer about you but about the free gift that is within you - God.  We have something special, we have the good news that people need, in whatever way they need it.  Whether its just a hug of compassion in their grief, whether its a word spoken that brings life and encouragement, whatever it is, step up in the faith that you have and step out and see what the Lord will do through you.

Lord I ask that today you would encourage people in faith to step up and step out in what you say to them, in the small quiet voice, that we would be obedient no longer worried about ourselves but looking forward to what you will do through that bit of obedience.  Lord I pray encouragement would come as people step out, that they would see that mustard seed of faith in that situation become a mighty tree.  Lord thank you that you will multiply the work of our hands.  Take what we offer and use it mightily for your Kingdom.  Thank you Jesus that we can do all things through you who strengthens us!


Popular posts from this blog

Do you have time for breakfast?

I had this dream last night where I saw my sister busy working in her restaurant.  She had advertised in the paper and she was so busy she had no time for her family.  I was sitting eating breakfast with my other sister feeling almost lazy in comparison with the first sister, but knowing that I was not lazy, but busy too in a different way.  I had no idea when she would have time for her family.  She was doing what she loved, she was bringing people into her restaurant and it was going really well, but her family life was suffering. In pondering on this, it speaks for itself really.  But added to that is that we can often compare with one another or judge one another in the way things are being done.  I think regularly of Nehemiah these days and how we are all called to rebuild the wall, but we all have different parts of the wall we are called to build and look after and each part is important to the whole wall.  So lets please as a body of Christ, ...

Latest Prayer Update

Since writing last – We continue to pray about the tent meeting but the Lord seems to continue to have that on hold as I believe he has another way of doing the same thing but in a new way where the whole body will be used and so we wait until all the pieces come together.   Please be patient with us in this. Africa – We continue to have words given to us about Africa and so the Lord is definitely talking about Africa but he seems to be widening the vision with it all, not just Malawi.   It seems more like at this stage visiting a number of African Countries wherever the Lord leads, empowering people – a bit like the last China trip but for longer and more countries and so too we wait for all the pieces to fit together. He has said to have our bags packed ready to go at a moments notice and so we have done that by faith, there are just a few other things that need to come together to make this possible.    Picton – We were blessed to be part of a team that we...

Will you play the piano - will you spit and touch a man's toungue?

We had our worship group the other night and to begin with I saw someone playing the playing so I asked if anyone could and would play the piano because that is what I saw happening in the spirit.  I may have been wrong in the what I saw but I stepped out in faith but alas no one stepped forward to play the piano so Jim played it and I believe in this the Lord was teaching us some valuable lessons.  Jim cannot play the piano at all but he was willing to be used. This morning I was reading in Mark 7:32-35  "There some people brought to him a man who was deaf and could hardly talk, and they begged him to place his hand on the man...    Jesus put his fingers into the man's ears.  Then he spit and touched the man's tongue.  He looked up to heaven and with a deep sigh said to him "Ephphatha!" (which means, "Be opened!).  At this the man's ears were opened, his tongue was loosened and he began to speak plainly. I was reminded of the other night ...

Assuming motives can be dangerous.

Reading 2 Sam 10 this morning and what struck me was how something so simple that was supposed to bless and encourage someone, can be totally taken the wrong way and in that, cause major damage. In this story King David is wanting to express kindness to Hanun whose father had died.   But Hanna’s nobles, those close around him, spoke to him and suggested that in fact he wasn’t wanting to express sympathy at the death of his father, but rather exploring and spying out the city in order to overthrow it.   Because of this, they attack those who are sent on behalf of King David and shame them and in return, David retaliates. Ki ng David’s heart was to bless and to honour another King, but after that King Hanun listened to those around him, who planted thoughts other than those of David’s, and in the process caused a war. How often do we not take things as face value but try to work something out according to the way we see it, rather than perhaps the way i...

Kiwi Culture verses Kingdom Culture

The above is the title of a book that I have on my heart.  Whether or not it ever makes it there we will see but in the process I want to put some thoughts down and see what it opens up. I grew up with phrases like "God helps those who help themselves" or "Too spiritually minded to be any earthly good".  There are many many more that I am sure you know of - I would love to hear them so please blog me about them or Facebook me so I can add them.  But phrases like that that we grew up with that actually have become a part of world view and things we base our lives on.  Things of our culture that are so much a part of culture that we think is actually a part of the bible or at the very least is no big deal in God's eyes; like sarcasm.  I have had to question some of these phrases - "where does it say in the bible God helps those who help themselves?"  "What actually is sarcasm and does it build up and encourage people?" etc. Jim and I lived ...

Moving on from Bulawayo to Mozambique

Dear friends, It has been an interesting time here and the last few days the helper in the house has brought us her relatives and friends to pray for, so plenty of opportunity to impart what the Lord is saying to people and pray for them in their situations.  Walking into town this morning we came across a girl who had been having seizures  what we believe for several hours and needing medical attention lying on the path.  She was not conscious and it was quite scarey at one point, but  as we began praying for her saw life come back into her eyes and see her respond so that was encouraging. We believe it is now time for us to move on from here and so we have booked a bus heading to Harare the captial of Zimbabwe and then onto Mutare which is the boarder town of Mozambique and then onto Chimoio where we will stay with some friends that we met in South Africa who are working in Mozambique.  So we catch a bus on Thursday morning and hopefully will be in Chimoio...