Skip to main content

Faith and finances

The journey of faith and finances has been a long one for Jim and I.  First as 'missionaries' leaving our home land by faith with hardly any finances coming in and seeing God provide, and in the process teaching us to stand on His word.  Then returning home and believing for finances in the home town while still living as missionaries in NZ and learning how much we look to man for finances even whilst 'working' for the Lord we still put our trust in man to provide.  Learning that our trust needs to be completely resting in Him for everything, thinking that we actually do trust the Lord but in reality finding out that we are still looking to man, for finances, for honour, for approval, for acceptance.  And yet the Lord wants to be first in our lives and so he strips everything and shakes everything that can be shaken, taking us back to the things that really matter.  Love of God and Love of others as ourselves.  The one true measurement that we can use as a plumb line.

It is so easy to compare, get jealous over, judge others because of our 'position of lack' in whatever arena.  Success in this world, in mans eyes, is measured by what we have done, what we possess, the number of friends, likes on facebook etc.  Not the measurement that the Lord would use.  When he returns will he find a people of 'faith'?  What does that look like?  What is eternal life "To know God and be known by Him".

And so the next journey begins for Jim and I when we start a church, believing for finances not only for ourselves but for others that the Lord would bring along to work in His vineyard.  And so I continue to ponder in my heart the issues that we find on a daily basis, why there is lack in finance in the house of God and within the people within her?  Why actually if we brought the whole tithe into the storehouse there would be 'food in his house' and yet we don't have enough to pay our workers.  Why I continue to see that people will spend money on their pleasures instead of out of obedience to the Lord.  We have a good heart and yet there is still lack and the word of God says to me its because we are still all busy building our own houses and not the Lords. (Haggai)

The other day I was given a computer by someone and she said to me 'The Lord told me to buy it and give it to you to do with what you want".   I am so thankful for the gift and commend all those who give, it is such a blessing, but from where I sit today, I need to take that computer which is also a much needed need in the ministry, but it is not my first priority, and sell it again, to provide 'food' for the people who work in the house of God.  As I have pondered this and in discussion with some friends last night, I look around in our church which is only a sample of the bigger and wider church of the body of Christ.  What I see is people will generously give in their area of their heart for example if someone is into worship they will give in the worship arena which too is much needed, but not a 'first priority'.  We put our money where our heart is and yet the church is still unable to pay the workers.  You see when the early church grew, they brought it all to the storehouse and the apostles decided where the need was and they gave according to the need.

Right now our responsibility as Christians is to give to Ceasar what is Ceaser's, in other words give to the government what is due to the government, the tax, or if you like a tithe of our income and allow them to do what they want to it because we have given them the responsibility to care for the people.  But many of us grumble because they are not spending it how we see fit and so we withhold what is our responsibility and what is right in the Lord trusting in His provision in our areas of need.
The same is happening in the church.  When we see the 'government' of the church not doing what we expect or want them to do with our money, we withhold it, or we demand it be spent the way we want it spent, in essence demanding that we still have the authority and yet the Lord has given people governance to care for and spend that money where they believe, under God, there is a need.  A responsibility given to those who govern and its a weighty responsibility under God.  And yet we are undermining and with holding the 'whole tithe' as it says in Malachi and so there is no food in his house to feed the workers.  And if there is no workers in the harvest field then there is no harvest.

And so it becomes a vicious circle of lack because those who 'feed' us in the house of God cannot feed us any more as we are not 'feeding' them and so we all lose out in reality because we are all chasing our own desires instead of honouring the word, honouring God and honouring those in authority which God has put there, whether good authority or bad.  When we honour God in the little, he will put us in charge of a lot, but if we continue to do our own thing, go our own way, then we will continue to struggle in so many arenas.  Mal 3:10  "Bring the whole tithe into the storehouse that there may be food in my house....".v9 "You are cursed with a curse, yet you and the whole nation are still robbing me....."  but if you bring the whole tithe into the store house "then I will rebuke the devourer for you so that it will not destroy the fruits of your land and the vine in your field will not fail to produce fruit."
You see when we bring in the whole tithe to the House of the Lord we will be blessed that there will be so much that we will not be able to contain it, but when we withhold the tithe, we sit under a curse and the devourer has a right to steal as we are not living out of the alignment with heaven.

I encourage you today if this speaks to you, to 'repent', change your way of thinking and turn and he will heal our land of the poverty and lack that is within the church which should be the place of favour, of prosperity, of blessing so that we as a church (wider context church) can be blessed to be a blessing.  So that we as a 'church' would not find the people within her begging for bread.



Popular posts from this blog

Latest Prayer Update

Since writing last – We continue to pray about the tent meeting but the Lord seems to continue to have that on hold as I believe he has another way of doing the same thing but in a new way where the whole body will be used and so we wait until all the pieces come together.   Please be patient with us in this. Africa – We continue to have words given to us about Africa and so the Lord is definitely talking about Africa but he seems to be widening the vision with it all, not just Malawi.   It seems more like at this stage visiting a number of African Countries wherever the Lord leads, empowering people – a bit like the last China trip but for longer and more countries and so too we wait for all the pieces to fit together. He has said to have our bags packed ready to go at a moments notice and so we have done that by faith, there are just a few other things that need to come together to make this possible.    Picton – We were blessed to be part of a team that we...

Will you play the piano - will you spit and touch a man's toungue?

We had our worship group the other night and to begin with I saw someone playing the playing so I asked if anyone could and would play the piano because that is what I saw happening in the spirit.  I may have been wrong in the what I saw but I stepped out in faith but alas no one stepped forward to play the piano so Jim played it and I believe in this the Lord was teaching us some valuable lessons.  Jim cannot play the piano at all but he was willing to be used. This morning I was reading in Mark 7:32-35  "There some people brought to him a man who was deaf and could hardly talk, and they begged him to place his hand on the man...    Jesus put his fingers into the man's ears.  Then he spit and touched the man's tongue.  He looked up to heaven and with a deep sigh said to him "Ephphatha!" (which means, "Be opened!).  At this the man's ears were opened, his tongue was loosened and he began to speak plainly. I was reminded of the other night ...

2 Chronicles 20 The Fear of a King

Yesterday I listened to a wonderful message from the Bethel weekly sermons on the Creative power of Thanksgiving. It was so good and something I talked a little about on Wednesday about giving thanks in all circumstances and how that changes our circumstances.  These are some of my thoughts as I searched the scriptures he brought; He talked from 2 Chron 20 about how Jehosphophat (King) feared the armies that were coming against him. Here was a king who was afraid. That gave me great encouragement right there, if a King can be afraid, then it's okay too if I am. I know for myself I am often afraid of things that I see coming and I don't know how to handle it. Neither did Jehosophophat and so he called all the people together and sought the Lord.  First position in our place of fear is to seek the Lord.  Verse 12 "For we have no power against the great multitude that is coming against us, nor do we know what to do, but our eyes are upon you." So often we don't kn...

GRM Call to prayer - "Who will weep for the Bride?"

Something I realised in my recent trip away to the Canterbury region is again the confirmation and call of my heart to see the bride raised up to be who she is called to be. A pure spotless bride who is ready for her beloved and walking in everything He has promised us as His authority here on the earth.  I realised afresh as I listen to different people, hear and see different reasons as to why people aren't going to church, or perhaps have recently moved churches for some reason, basically peoples hurts and frustrations regarding 'Church', that there is a disconnect in how people see things and how the word of the Lord the bible teaches us in how we ought to love one another and forgive one another.  Hence why we are seeing a 'powerless' church.  The word says that if we bite and devour one another we will be destroyed (Gal 5:15) All of us have a heart and passion, yours might be for the lost, it might be for the single parents, or the sick, etc. but the Lord...

Assuming motives can be dangerous.

Reading 2 Sam 10 this morning and what struck me was how something so simple that was supposed to bless and encourage someone, can be totally taken the wrong way and in that, cause major damage. In this story King David is wanting to express kindness to Hanun whose father had died.   But Hanna’s nobles, those close around him, spoke to him and suggested that in fact he wasn’t wanting to express sympathy at the death of his father, but rather exploring and spying out the city in order to overthrow it.   Because of this, they attack those who are sent on behalf of King David and shame them and in return, David retaliates. Ki ng David’s heart was to bless and to honour another King, but after that King Hanun listened to those around him, who planted thoughts other than those of David’s, and in the process caused a war. How often do we not take things as face value but try to work something out according to the way we see it, rather than perhaps the way i...

Expectations and frustrations

Last night I had this dream and I saw myself going up the mountain with my husband and as we went up the mountain to the snow I saw the most beautiful waterfall flowing in the bush and the scenery was just beautiful and as we reached base camp there were many people waiting to go on the ski lift to the mountain but they were having to wait because as I watched the snow was melting so fast because the sun was coming out so strong the the snow was melting like right before your eyes and people were no longer able to ski.  People were getting frustrated because they had come to go skiing and now no longer were able to, but for others like myself I so was enjoying the scenery that because the snow was melting there was so much beauty all around.  At the same time there was aeroplanes flying around doing acrobatic flying in the sky and other people were in stands watching the planes flying around. As I looked at this this morning, I believe we are coming into a time where the ...