Skip to main content

A trap in sharing your faith or your opinions.

When we share our faith or things we know in the Lord, we can so easily find ourselves considering ourselves better than others, and fall into a trap without even realising it.

This scripture that came to mind this morning as I was pondering on this was in Romans 12:3
"For by the grace given me I say to every one of you:  Do not think of yourself more highly than you ought, but rather think of yourself with sober judgement, in accordance with the measure of faith God has given each of you.  Just as each of us has one body with many members, and these members do not all have the same function, so in Christ we who are many form one body, and each member belongs to all the others. We have different gifts, according to the grace given us."

What does it look like to look at yourself with sober judgement?  Everything we have received has been received as a free gift given by the Lord, not because of anything we have earned or deserved it, but freely given, and in that place we become thankful for all that the Lord has given us, and not proud because we could not attain it on our own.  In looking at yourself with sober judgement you realise there is still much to learn, that you don't have it all together, that without Christ we have nothing.

Often in trying to help others or share with others the things the Lord has taught us, we may find ourselves entering into 'spiritual hierarchy' without even realising it, and in that place you are thinking of yourself more highly than you ought.     Recently Jim and I have been in discussions with several different cultures and walks of experience of faith in the Lord, in trying to see a vision that God has given fulfilled.  And although there were things we didn't yet see 'eye to eye' in, because of our different journeys in the Lord,  if we let those things divide us as people, we are no longer walking in love.  And yet they have things we need to learn, and we have things they need to learn.  If we enter into a place where we think we have all the answers and we can't learn anything from them, then we have entered into thinking of ourselves more highly than we ought.

Each of us has walked a different journey, each of us has been given different gifts and levels of faith.  So in this place its very important to look at yourself and not others and where they are at.
Romans 14:1-4  "Accept him whose faith is weak, without passing judgement on disputable matters.  One man's faith allows him to eat everything, but another man, whose faith is weak, eats only vegetables.  The man who eats everything must not look down on him who does not, and the man who does not eat everything must not condemn the man who does, for God has accepted him.  Who are you to judge someone else's servant?  To his own master he stands or falls.  And he will stand, for the Lord is able to make him stand."


Through the passage above its not just talking about the food we eat but the judgement we put on another because of the things they may or may not do, the things they say or not say, the things they step out in and the things they don't in faith.  It covers every spectrum of our walk I believe where we want to judge and condemn another or ourselves and enter into disputable matters and fall into a trap of thinking one is more spiritual than another.  Yet we cannot judge God's servant because that person is accountable to God and not to us.


Romans 13:8  "Let no debt remain outstanding, except the continuing debt to love one another, for he who loves his fellowman has fulfilled the law.  v10 Love your neighbour as yourself.  Love does no harm to its neighbour.  There love is the fulfillment of the law."
A debt remains outstanding if we can no longer have fellowship with another because of a difference of opinion, because of disputable matters, because of spiritual knowledge that separates instead of unites and we have fallen into a trap of considering ourselves more highly than we ought.

So I encourage you this morning, to take time on a regular basis to sit with the Lord and allow him to show you any area that you may find yourself thinking yourself more highly than you ought as it is so easy to do as we share our faith, our belief, our opinions with others.

Popular posts from this blog

Latest Prayer Update

Since writing last – We continue to pray about the tent meeting but the Lord seems to continue to have that on hold as I believe he has another way of doing the same thing but in a new way where the whole body will be used and so we wait until all the pieces come together.   Please be patient with us in this. Africa – We continue to have words given to us about Africa and so the Lord is definitely talking about Africa but he seems to be widening the vision with it all, not just Malawi.   It seems more like at this stage visiting a number of African Countries wherever the Lord leads, empowering people – a bit like the last China trip but for longer and more countries and so too we wait for all the pieces to fit together. He has said to have our bags packed ready to go at a moments notice and so we have done that by faith, there are just a few other things that need to come together to make this possible.    Picton – We were blessed to be part of a team that we...

Will you play the piano - will you spit and touch a man's toungue?

We had our worship group the other night and to begin with I saw someone playing the playing so I asked if anyone could and would play the piano because that is what I saw happening in the spirit.  I may have been wrong in the what I saw but I stepped out in faith but alas no one stepped forward to play the piano so Jim played it and I believe in this the Lord was teaching us some valuable lessons.  Jim cannot play the piano at all but he was willing to be used. This morning I was reading in Mark 7:32-35  "There some people brought to him a man who was deaf and could hardly talk, and they begged him to place his hand on the man...    Jesus put his fingers into the man's ears.  Then he spit and touched the man's tongue.  He looked up to heaven and with a deep sigh said to him "Ephphatha!" (which means, "Be opened!).  At this the man's ears were opened, his tongue was loosened and he began to speak plainly. I was reminded of the other night ...

Infestation of bugs on the wall....

This morning I had a quick picture the Lord showed me.  We had some bugs on the wall and he showed me it didn't take much to get rid of them, just needed to spray them and they would die.  But as I asked the Lord with Jim in prayer as to where these bugs came from and why they had got into our house, the Lord showed us an area in our lives where we had a little bit of unbelief. I share this picture with you as so easily something small can get into your 'house' like fleas and unless untreated it can become an infestation that is harder to deal with than if you dealt with it straight away.  The Lord showed us an area that needed a slight adjustment in our speaking and in our thinking that had allowed these very subtle if not slightly smiling bugs (deception) into our home.  It was easy to deal with through repentance and realigning our thinking with what the words says and it was no big deal, the bugs were dealt with and killed and our wall once again was made clean...

2 Chronicles 20 The Fear of a King

Yesterday I listened to a wonderful message from the Bethel weekly sermons on the Creative power of Thanksgiving. It was so good and something I talked a little about on Wednesday about giving thanks in all circumstances and how that changes our circumstances.  These are some of my thoughts as I searched the scriptures he brought; He talked from 2 Chron 20 about how Jehosphophat (King) feared the armies that were coming against him. Here was a king who was afraid. That gave me great encouragement right there, if a King can be afraid, then it's okay too if I am. I know for myself I am often afraid of things that I see coming and I don't know how to handle it. Neither did Jehosophophat and so he called all the people together and sought the Lord.  First position in our place of fear is to seek the Lord.  Verse 12 "For we have no power against the great multitude that is coming against us, nor do we know what to do, but our eyes are upon you." So often we don't kn...

GRM Call to prayer - "Who will weep for the Bride?"

Something I realised in my recent trip away to the Canterbury region is again the confirmation and call of my heart to see the bride raised up to be who she is called to be. A pure spotless bride who is ready for her beloved and walking in everything He has promised us as His authority here on the earth.  I realised afresh as I listen to different people, hear and see different reasons as to why people aren't going to church, or perhaps have recently moved churches for some reason, basically peoples hurts and frustrations regarding 'Church', that there is a disconnect in how people see things and how the word of the Lord the bible teaches us in how we ought to love one another and forgive one another.  Hence why we are seeing a 'powerless' church.  The word says that if we bite and devour one another we will be destroyed (Gal 5:15) All of us have a heart and passion, yours might be for the lost, it might be for the single parents, or the sick, etc. but the Lord...

Let's not be a 'passerby' this Christmas

If you were to see a car accident happen would you stop and help the people in the car or would you drive by believing that others will help them and keep going to where you were headed? This morning I was woken by a request by the pastor in India where we visited three years ago requesting help for the orphanage and daily needs as they were struggling and I thought of the dream I had this morning about a car accident that had happened and those that walked by.  For many of us every day things have happened to the people around us that need our help in some way. The Lord took me to James 2:5  "Listen my dear brothers and sisters:  Has not God chosen those who are poor in the eyes of the world to be rich in faith and to inherit the kingdom he promised those who love him?  But you have dishonoured the poor.....  v14 What good is it, my brothers and sisters if someone claims to have faith but has no deeds?  Can such faith save them?  Suppose a br...