Skip to main content

Who are we serving - God or man?


 This morning the Lord has been challenging me and showing me and asking the question – “Why am I doing what I am doing?  Am I doing it for Jesus or for man?”

Over the past weekend I kept calling people ‘Mary’ and I clicked this morning what was going on, the Lord was reminding me to be a ‘Mary’ to sit at Jesus feet and so I looked up the story about Martha and Mary.  We all know the story but for me this morning as the Lord is saying to ‘prepare for expansion’ he is also saying in the preparation to keep sitting at his feet.  Luke 10:40  “But Martha was distracted by all the preparations that had to be made. “  In this season where we need to make room for expansion, it is easy to get distracted with all the preparations that need to be made, easy to not sit and be with Jesus. 
Luke 10:38 – 41, a woman named Martha opened her home to him.  She had a sister called Mary, who sat at the Lord’s feet listening to what he said.

The scripture above spoke to me personally as we are opening our home to the Lord and to the people he brings, how do we sit and listen to all that Jesus says and yet still get the preparations done?  I pondered this question and then the Lord reminded me once again of what happened last week.  People came and helped with the things that needed  to be done.  One woman turned up at my home and started to help clean when I had had no time for cleaning.  I didn’t need to ask her, she was prompted by the Lord to come and do it.  He reminded me that he will bring the people that will do the various things that need to be done.  We all have our part and we need to respond to the part that the Lord puts on our heart and do what he releases us to do.  But first we need to listen to him.  It was in listening to him that the woman responded and came and helped clean.  When we listen to him, when we sit at his feet, we hear what we need to do and we then need to trust him to do the rest.  We can only do what he gives us to do, and if we find ourselves rushing around then we are often doing things that he has not asked us to do.   

In my rushing around this morning and preparing my home, the Lord gently asked the question – ‘Sarah who are you serving, God or man.’  Are you serving the people more that I am bringing to your home than you are serving me.  He prompted me to go and pick some roses but at the same time someone came to our home.  I was tempted to go immediately to minister with the people but Jesus showed me not to and to go and pick the roses because actually Jesus was more important and I had felt him say to go and pick some roses, but because someone turned up I felt the need to go and be with them.  God is big enough to minister to the people on his own without me.  He doesn’t need me.  He can turn up in a cloud all on his own and bring what needs to be brought and so I took my time and went and picked the roses first and then God did what he wanted to do and it was so much better than if I had gone in rushing and not at peace.

God is sooo good in realigning our focus and shifting it back to where it should be.  And so I share this with you and hope it helps you to keep your focus where it also needs to be and ask that you would pray for me in the shifting of seasons and the preparations of expansion that I would take that time to just sit at Jesus feet and listen to him and trust him that everything will get done that needs to get done.

Popular posts from this blog

Latest Prayer Update

Since writing last – We continue to pray about the tent meeting but the Lord seems to continue to have that on hold as I believe he has another way of doing the same thing but in a new way where the whole body will be used and so we wait until all the pieces come together.   Please be patient with us in this. Africa – We continue to have words given to us about Africa and so the Lord is definitely talking about Africa but he seems to be widening the vision with it all, not just Malawi.   It seems more like at this stage visiting a number of African Countries wherever the Lord leads, empowering people – a bit like the last China trip but for longer and more countries and so too we wait for all the pieces to fit together. He has said to have our bags packed ready to go at a moments notice and so we have done that by faith, there are just a few other things that need to come together to make this possible.    Picton – We were blessed to be part of a team that we...

Do you have time for breakfast?

I had this dream last night where I saw my sister busy working in her restaurant.  She had advertised in the paper and she was so busy she had no time for her family.  I was sitting eating breakfast with my other sister feeling almost lazy in comparison with the first sister, but knowing that I was not lazy, but busy too in a different way.  I had no idea when she would have time for her family.  She was doing what she loved, she was bringing people into her restaurant and it was going really well, but her family life was suffering. In pondering on this, it speaks for itself really.  But added to that is that we can often compare with one another or judge one another in the way things are being done.  I think regularly of Nehemiah these days and how we are all called to rebuild the wall, but we all have different parts of the wall we are called to build and look after and each part is important to the whole wall.  So lets please as a body of Christ, ...

Will you play the piano - will you spit and touch a man's toungue?

We had our worship group the other night and to begin with I saw someone playing the playing so I asked if anyone could and would play the piano because that is what I saw happening in the spirit.  I may have been wrong in the what I saw but I stepped out in faith but alas no one stepped forward to play the piano so Jim played it and I believe in this the Lord was teaching us some valuable lessons.  Jim cannot play the piano at all but he was willing to be used. This morning I was reading in Mark 7:32-35  "There some people brought to him a man who was deaf and could hardly talk, and they begged him to place his hand on the man...    Jesus put his fingers into the man's ears.  Then he spit and touched the man's tongue.  He looked up to heaven and with a deep sigh said to him "Ephphatha!" (which means, "Be opened!).  At this the man's ears were opened, his tongue was loosened and he began to speak plainly. I was reminded of the other night ...

2 Chronicles 20 The Fear of a King

Yesterday I listened to a wonderful message from the Bethel weekly sermons on the Creative power of Thanksgiving. It was so good and something I talked a little about on Wednesday about giving thanks in all circumstances and how that changes our circumstances.  These are some of my thoughts as I searched the scriptures he brought; He talked from 2 Chron 20 about how Jehosphophat (King) feared the armies that were coming against him. Here was a king who was afraid. That gave me great encouragement right there, if a King can be afraid, then it's okay too if I am. I know for myself I am often afraid of things that I see coming and I don't know how to handle it. Neither did Jehosophophat and so he called all the people together and sought the Lord.  First position in our place of fear is to seek the Lord.  Verse 12 "For we have no power against the great multitude that is coming against us, nor do we know what to do, but our eyes are upon you." So often we don't kn...

Expectations and frustrations

Last night I had this dream and I saw myself going up the mountain with my husband and as we went up the mountain to the snow I saw the most beautiful waterfall flowing in the bush and the scenery was just beautiful and as we reached base camp there were many people waiting to go on the ski lift to the mountain but they were having to wait because as I watched the snow was melting so fast because the sun was coming out so strong the the snow was melting like right before your eyes and people were no longer able to ski.  People were getting frustrated because they had come to go skiing and now no longer were able to, but for others like myself I so was enjoying the scenery that because the snow was melting there was so much beauty all around.  At the same time there was aeroplanes flying around doing acrobatic flying in the sky and other people were in stands watching the planes flying around. As I looked at this this morning, I believe we are coming into a time where the ...

GRM Call to prayer - "Who will weep for the Bride?"

Something I realised in my recent trip away to the Canterbury region is again the confirmation and call of my heart to see the bride raised up to be who she is called to be. A pure spotless bride who is ready for her beloved and walking in everything He has promised us as His authority here on the earth.  I realised afresh as I listen to different people, hear and see different reasons as to why people aren't going to church, or perhaps have recently moved churches for some reason, basically peoples hurts and frustrations regarding 'Church', that there is a disconnect in how people see things and how the word of the Lord the bible teaches us in how we ought to love one another and forgive one another.  Hence why we are seeing a 'powerless' church.  The word says that if we bite and devour one another we will be destroyed (Gal 5:15) All of us have a heart and passion, yours might be for the lost, it might be for the single parents, or the sick, etc. but the Lord...