Skip to main content

Ist blog from South Africa - Are you a "Blessing Bestower or a Blessing Blocker"

Greetings from Johannesburg South Africa!  We had a fantastic flight over and arrived to be met by Rod Talbot (missionary with World Outreach from New Zealand) at the airport and taken back to his place to be greeted by freshly baked hot muffins by his wife Lynley and later to be sitting down watching the All Blacks play in Christchurch.:)

South Africa is a very dry red brown land with huge expanses with development happening everywhere you look.  Lots of really really nice cars, obvious wealth around the place, yet you will see people living on the street.  


We have had a 'soft landing' here in Johannesburg but I am not complaining as it is really nice to enjoy some of the easier sides of Africa while we can and aclimatize and learn some of the local lingo.  Robots are traffic lights, bakkie is a ute, whopooe is a bird, pik and pay a supermarket, biltong is dried meat, bobootie a local dish and so on.

When flying into Africa I straight away realised some of the differences compared to our previous country of China.  We can speak english here.  You can be a missionary.  Both of which bring such a great freedom in being able to share the gospel openly.  The security issues of China not overshadowing everything you do.  However we know there are and will be other challenges.

Where we are staying there are missionaries from Mozambique here so enjoying listening to some of their stories, hearing some of their journey & struggles and having opportunity to pray with them and for them.  In hearing their stories we are learning much about the countries we intend to be heading to and the challenges that we may face and how very different they are to here.

We were blessed to go to a local church on Sunday, a congregation of over 3000.  I was honoured to be a part of a womans' group today run by the great granddaughter of Smith Wigglesworth.  Her Son is the Pastor of the church.  A word that the lady running it gave was "you can either be a "blessing bestower or a blessing blocker" and hence when the Lord had given me words of knowledge for healing, I stepped out in faith on what she said and brought the words which opened up the way for prayer and ministry to happen and the glory of the Lord to be released.  It was certainly a highlight for me to be able to pray and minister to people and see the power of God moving.

We then had some fun this afternoon, went and played ten pin bowling.  Really nice but as we were driving back to the house we hit rush hour traffic, six lanes on one side full of slow moving traffic, quite a site really as you watch the vehicles maneuver all over the place including the sidewalk to get where they want to go.

The Lord had me looking at the life of Jacob yesterday and I would like to share a verse that spoke to me.  Gen 28:15  "I am with you and will watch over you wherever you go and I will bring you back to this land.  I will not leave you until I have done what I have promised you"  It was a great encouragement to me in the fact that God is with us but also that he will do what He said he will do and so we look forward to what and how He is going to do what He said he will do.!

That's all for now, love to everyone and thank you for your continued prayers and support!
With love, Jim & Sarah - and please continue to pray for Kate while we are here.  Thanks.


Popular posts from this blog

Do you have time for breakfast?

I had this dream last night where I saw my sister busy working in her restaurant.  She had advertised in the paper and she was so busy she had no time for her family.  I was sitting eating breakfast with my other sister feeling almost lazy in comparison with the first sister, but knowing that I was not lazy, but busy too in a different way.  I had no idea when she would have time for her family.  She was doing what she loved, she was bringing people into her restaurant and it was going really well, but her family life was suffering. In pondering on this, it speaks for itself really.  But added to that is that we can often compare with one another or judge one another in the way things are being done.  I think regularly of Nehemiah these days and how we are all called to rebuild the wall, but we all have different parts of the wall we are called to build and look after and each part is important to the whole wall.  So lets please as a body of Christ, ...

Latest Prayer Update

Since writing last – We continue to pray about the tent meeting but the Lord seems to continue to have that on hold as I believe he has another way of doing the same thing but in a new way where the whole body will be used and so we wait until all the pieces come together.   Please be patient with us in this. Africa – We continue to have words given to us about Africa and so the Lord is definitely talking about Africa but he seems to be widening the vision with it all, not just Malawi.   It seems more like at this stage visiting a number of African Countries wherever the Lord leads, empowering people – a bit like the last China trip but for longer and more countries and so too we wait for all the pieces to fit together. He has said to have our bags packed ready to go at a moments notice and so we have done that by faith, there are just a few other things that need to come together to make this possible.    Picton – We were blessed to be part of a team that we...

Moving on from Bulawayo to Mozambique

Dear friends, It has been an interesting time here and the last few days the helper in the house has brought us her relatives and friends to pray for, so plenty of opportunity to impart what the Lord is saying to people and pray for them in their situations.  Walking into town this morning we came across a girl who had been having seizures  what we believe for several hours and needing medical attention lying on the path.  She was not conscious and it was quite scarey at one point, but  as we began praying for her saw life come back into her eyes and see her respond so that was encouraging. We believe it is now time for us to move on from here and so we have booked a bus heading to Harare the captial of Zimbabwe and then onto Mutare which is the boarder town of Mozambique and then onto Chimoio where we will stay with some friends that we met in South Africa who are working in Mozambique.  So we catch a bus on Thursday morning and hopefully will be in Chimoio...

Will you play the piano - will you spit and touch a man's toungue?

We had our worship group the other night and to begin with I saw someone playing the playing so I asked if anyone could and would play the piano because that is what I saw happening in the spirit.  I may have been wrong in the what I saw but I stepped out in faith but alas no one stepped forward to play the piano so Jim played it and I believe in this the Lord was teaching us some valuable lessons.  Jim cannot play the piano at all but he was willing to be used. This morning I was reading in Mark 7:32-35  "There some people brought to him a man who was deaf and could hardly talk, and they begged him to place his hand on the man...    Jesus put his fingers into the man's ears.  Then he spit and touched the man's tongue.  He looked up to heaven and with a deep sigh said to him "Ephphatha!" (which means, "Be opened!).  At this the man's ears were opened, his tongue was loosened and he began to speak plainly. I was reminded of the other night ...

My grace is sufficient.

Yesterday I had three pictures; One, people came bringing bad news. The second, others had been offended and shut me out. And the third, I was on a airport runway and another plane tried to take me off the runway before I could lift off and go where I was going, but I was able to get away from it. As I prayed about these pictures the Lord had given me I believed he said to me; “Be careful who you listen to and go with.  Things are going to try and bring discouragement and shut you out and they will try to take you off track but keep focused.  Build my church”. So discouragement and obstacles are trying to get in the way of the purposes of God being fulfilled in my life and those around me and hence why I share what the Lord showed me because I believe for many in this season of change right now, hold onto what you believe God has said over you and don’t allow the enemy to abort the promises in your life. Something over the last several weeks that keeps c...

Kiwi Culture verses Kingdom Culture

The above is the title of a book that I have on my heart.  Whether or not it ever makes it there we will see but in the process I want to put some thoughts down and see what it opens up. I grew up with phrases like "God helps those who help themselves" or "Too spiritually minded to be any earthly good".  There are many many more that I am sure you know of - I would love to hear them so please blog me about them or Facebook me so I can add them.  But phrases like that that we grew up with that actually have become a part of world view and things we base our lives on.  Things of our culture that are so much a part of culture that we think is actually a part of the bible or at the very least is no big deal in God's eyes; like sarcasm.  I have had to question some of these phrases - "where does it say in the bible God helps those who help themselves?"  "What actually is sarcasm and does it build up and encourage people?" etc. Jim and I lived ...