Skip to main content

Struggling to get that time alone.....??!!!!

Matt 11:28  "Come to me,  all who you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest.  Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls.  For my yoke is easy and my burden is light." 


This morning as I was having my quiet time my husband kept encroaching on my space with the Lord and I kept getting distracted with things that needed to be done and I felt like screaming for my own space just to be with the Lord.   Then the Lord reminded me very quickly that I need to continue to feed from him with everything going on around me.  He reminded me of the different seasons in life and the different stresses at different times, as a mother with children running around your feet, as a worker and the demands of full time work, whatever season you are in, that we still need to find that time to be alone with the Lord where it is just him and you in communion with each other, loving and being loved, where everything is laid bare before him, where all the stresses of life are handed over to him for him to come in and lead the way and carry the load.  Where we find rest for our souls.  This is always the place where I need to come to, where the burdens on my heart are replaced with his peace and rest and from that position so much is able to happen and does so with much more ease.

Last night in church there was a song sang that said "what we pay attention to that is what takes hold of you"  It is so true.  Over many years now for me I have often been up at 5 - 5:30am just so that I have a decent time just alone with the Lord before the busyness of the day (not 5 mins, for me it is rather a couple of hours at least)  and then Kate's school schedule changed and she was in my space from 6am and so that time alone with the Lord has had to change too.  Now it sometimes is not till everyone has gone to bed late at night or even sometimes the Lord will get me up at 3 in the morning just to spend time with me.  Or it will be through the day wherever I can put that time aside.  It is a discipline in my life that I try to make and find the space for, because without my time with the Lord I know my world just collapses around me, stresses come in and the whole house suffers if I find I haven't had my time with the Lord.

I share this with you not to boast or put pressure on you to do the same.   As I said above what we pay attention to is what takes a hold of you.   I was choosing this discipline to spend time with the Lord and in his word and initially I certainly didn't spend the amount of time I do with him now, it has grown over time where now a couple of hours is nothing and I long for more with him.   I know for myself if I don't spend this time with him, then the other things in my life become a bigger focus than God and quickly my faith for certain things to happen just isn't there, as I have made the Lord smaller than the situation that needs a breakthrough, of which he is more than able to bring if I allow him to.

I have noticed too over the years how my time with him has changed.  There is no formula how you spend time with the Lord and like the seasons above I am learning there are seasons in what happens with my time with the Lord.  Whether its reading the word and praying, whether its just listening to music soaking allowing him to speak to me, whether its processing a dream he has given me, whether its reading huge chunks of his word in one sitting, whether its playing the guitar, speaking in tongues, or whatever form it may take, my communion/fellowship with the Lord is varied as my relationship has many faucets with him.  It may even be listening to teaching while baking a cake.  As long as I find time to 'hear' from the Lord and to 'hand' things over to him it doesn't matter to me what shape that may take, sometimes it may even be watching a movie that will speak to me.  I have chosen to make him my focus and in the busyness of life I continue to find the time to make Him my focus because without him I am nothing, I can do nothing, but with Him I can do everything through Him who gives me strength!

Lord help us to find that time 'alone' with you in the busyness of life where you feed us your heavenly mana for the day, where our daily bread, our provision comes from you.  Thank you Jesus that you are more than able to take care of every need we have, every situation that we are facing, that you give us strength where we have no strength and Lord I ask that for each person today that you would come into their world and in their situations and bring your rest and peace to whatever they may be facing.  Thank you Lord!



Popular posts from this blog

Do you have time for breakfast?

I had this dream last night where I saw my sister busy working in her restaurant.  She had advertised in the paper and she was so busy she had no time for her family.  I was sitting eating breakfast with my other sister feeling almost lazy in comparison with the first sister, but knowing that I was not lazy, but busy too in a different way.  I had no idea when she would have time for her family.  She was doing what she loved, she was bringing people into her restaurant and it was going really well, but her family life was suffering. In pondering on this, it speaks for itself really.  But added to that is that we can often compare with one another or judge one another in the way things are being done.  I think regularly of Nehemiah these days and how we are all called to rebuild the wall, but we all have different parts of the wall we are called to build and look after and each part is important to the whole wall.  So lets please as a body of Christ, ...

Latest Prayer Update

Since writing last – We continue to pray about the tent meeting but the Lord seems to continue to have that on hold as I believe he has another way of doing the same thing but in a new way where the whole body will be used and so we wait until all the pieces come together.   Please be patient with us in this. Africa – We continue to have words given to us about Africa and so the Lord is definitely talking about Africa but he seems to be widening the vision with it all, not just Malawi.   It seems more like at this stage visiting a number of African Countries wherever the Lord leads, empowering people – a bit like the last China trip but for longer and more countries and so too we wait for all the pieces to fit together. He has said to have our bags packed ready to go at a moments notice and so we have done that by faith, there are just a few other things that need to come together to make this possible.    Picton – We were blessed to be part of a team that we...

Will you play the piano - will you spit and touch a man's toungue?

We had our worship group the other night and to begin with I saw someone playing the playing so I asked if anyone could and would play the piano because that is what I saw happening in the spirit.  I may have been wrong in the what I saw but I stepped out in faith but alas no one stepped forward to play the piano so Jim played it and I believe in this the Lord was teaching us some valuable lessons.  Jim cannot play the piano at all but he was willing to be used. This morning I was reading in Mark 7:32-35  "There some people brought to him a man who was deaf and could hardly talk, and they begged him to place his hand on the man...    Jesus put his fingers into the man's ears.  Then he spit and touched the man's tongue.  He looked up to heaven and with a deep sigh said to him "Ephphatha!" (which means, "Be opened!).  At this the man's ears were opened, his tongue was loosened and he began to speak plainly. I was reminded of the other night ...

Expectations and frustrations

Last night I had this dream and I saw myself going up the mountain with my husband and as we went up the mountain to the snow I saw the most beautiful waterfall flowing in the bush and the scenery was just beautiful and as we reached base camp there were many people waiting to go on the ski lift to the mountain but they were having to wait because as I watched the snow was melting so fast because the sun was coming out so strong the the snow was melting like right before your eyes and people were no longer able to ski.  People were getting frustrated because they had come to go skiing and now no longer were able to, but for others like myself I so was enjoying the scenery that because the snow was melting there was so much beauty all around.  At the same time there was aeroplanes flying around doing acrobatic flying in the sky and other people were in stands watching the planes flying around. As I looked at this this morning, I believe we are coming into a time where the ...

2 Chronicles 20 The Fear of a King

Yesterday I listened to a wonderful message from the Bethel weekly sermons on the Creative power of Thanksgiving. It was so good and something I talked a little about on Wednesday about giving thanks in all circumstances and how that changes our circumstances.  These are some of my thoughts as I searched the scriptures he brought; He talked from 2 Chron 20 about how Jehosphophat (King) feared the armies that were coming against him. Here was a king who was afraid. That gave me great encouragement right there, if a King can be afraid, then it's okay too if I am. I know for myself I am often afraid of things that I see coming and I don't know how to handle it. Neither did Jehosophophat and so he called all the people together and sought the Lord.  First position in our place of fear is to seek the Lord.  Verse 12 "For we have no power against the great multitude that is coming against us, nor do we know what to do, but our eyes are upon you." So often we don't kn...

My grace is sufficient.

Yesterday I had three pictures; One, people came bringing bad news. The second, others had been offended and shut me out. And the third, I was on a airport runway and another plane tried to take me off the runway before I could lift off and go where I was going, but I was able to get away from it. As I prayed about these pictures the Lord had given me I believed he said to me; “Be careful who you listen to and go with.  Things are going to try and bring discouragement and shut you out and they will try to take you off track but keep focused.  Build my church”. So discouragement and obstacles are trying to get in the way of the purposes of God being fulfilled in my life and those around me and hence why I share what the Lord showed me because I believe for many in this season of change right now, hold onto what you believe God has said over you and don’t allow the enemy to abort the promises in your life. Something over the last several weeks that keeps c...