Skip to main content

"And this is love; that we walk in obedience to his commands."


Why do we do what we do?

2 John 6  “And this is love; that we walk in obedience to his commands.”
1 John 5:3  “This is love for God, to obey his commands.  And his commands are not burdensome for everyone born of God overcomes the world.

Jim and I have travelled down to Christchurch area for a time, why?  Because the Lord was directing our feet in this direction.  End of story.  But why?  What has He got for us here?  What are we ‘doing’ here?  Why spend the money to come down here when we don’t see the finances coming in that will be needed to cover the trip?  All sorts of questions arise as we step out in faith but end up not being able to answer all the questions that arise from various directions, various people in their hearts and our own, and yet we come and we come simply in obedience not knowing the outcome but knowing who our Lord is and that He has good plans for us.

Recently the Lord gave me a dream and it led me to the story of Jonah and his refusal to go where the Lord told him to go and the consequences that happened because of disobedience and then finally repentance came and he went where God had originally called him to go.  He didn’t go initially because of fear I believe and for many of us we don’t step out into what the Lord calls us to do because of some type of fear, but then because of that fear it cripples us in some form until we come to a place of repentance and trust in the Lord and finally do what He calls us to do.  When we do, like Jonah, I believe we will see things we never dreamed of or believed for.

A few years back we believed we were to go to China and it was the ‘last’ money that Jim and I had as such and so it was a huge step and once again we didn’t know why we were to go but we went out of obedience and eventually we understood why we were to go and it grew us immensely in our faith in the Lord to the point that when the Lord called us to go to Africa for three months once again with no money coming in or knowing the country or what we were to do there,  but because of seeing the provision in the previous trips, we had the faith rise up in us to step out again and we saw absolutely amazing things happen on that trip that we never dreamed of.  God is faithful and is able to perform all that he says he will do, if we will only but ‘obey’ not knowing the outcome.

There was an old song that was sung “Trust and obey for there is no other way to be happy in Jesus” and it is so true.  We so often don’t know the outcome of faith, but faith requires an action on our part in order to see the promises come true.  We have promises over this trip to Christchurch, and at this point we can’t see them but we are here by faith, not in what we can do, but knowing that our Lord is faithful and will do what He said He will do.  I write this not only to encourage others but ourselves in the Lord as we need to be reminded of what the Lord has done in the past to help us keep going in Him, to keep believing in Him when we may not see it yet.


May the Lord richly bless each one of you as you step out in obedience and love for Jesus into what he calls you each one to do.

Popular posts from this blog

Latest Prayer Update

Since writing last – We continue to pray about the tent meeting but the Lord seems to continue to have that on hold as I believe he has another way of doing the same thing but in a new way where the whole body will be used and so we wait until all the pieces come together.   Please be patient with us in this. Africa – We continue to have words given to us about Africa and so the Lord is definitely talking about Africa but he seems to be widening the vision with it all, not just Malawi.   It seems more like at this stage visiting a number of African Countries wherever the Lord leads, empowering people – a bit like the last China trip but for longer and more countries and so too we wait for all the pieces to fit together. He has said to have our bags packed ready to go at a moments notice and so we have done that by faith, there are just a few other things that need to come together to make this possible.    Picton – We were blessed to be part of a team that we...

Will you play the piano - will you spit and touch a man's toungue?

We had our worship group the other night and to begin with I saw someone playing the playing so I asked if anyone could and would play the piano because that is what I saw happening in the spirit.  I may have been wrong in the what I saw but I stepped out in faith but alas no one stepped forward to play the piano so Jim played it and I believe in this the Lord was teaching us some valuable lessons.  Jim cannot play the piano at all but he was willing to be used. This morning I was reading in Mark 7:32-35  "There some people brought to him a man who was deaf and could hardly talk, and they begged him to place his hand on the man...    Jesus put his fingers into the man's ears.  Then he spit and touched the man's tongue.  He looked up to heaven and with a deep sigh said to him "Ephphatha!" (which means, "Be opened!).  At this the man's ears were opened, his tongue was loosened and he began to speak plainly. I was reminded of the other night ...

2 Chronicles 20 The Fear of a King

Yesterday I listened to a wonderful message from the Bethel weekly sermons on the Creative power of Thanksgiving. It was so good and something I talked a little about on Wednesday about giving thanks in all circumstances and how that changes our circumstances.  These are some of my thoughts as I searched the scriptures he brought; He talked from 2 Chron 20 about how Jehosphophat (King) feared the armies that were coming against him. Here was a king who was afraid. That gave me great encouragement right there, if a King can be afraid, then it's okay too if I am. I know for myself I am often afraid of things that I see coming and I don't know how to handle it. Neither did Jehosophophat and so he called all the people together and sought the Lord.  First position in our place of fear is to seek the Lord.  Verse 12 "For we have no power against the great multitude that is coming against us, nor do we know what to do, but our eyes are upon you." So often we don't kn...

GRM Call to prayer - "Who will weep for the Bride?"

Something I realised in my recent trip away to the Canterbury region is again the confirmation and call of my heart to see the bride raised up to be who she is called to be. A pure spotless bride who is ready for her beloved and walking in everything He has promised us as His authority here on the earth.  I realised afresh as I listen to different people, hear and see different reasons as to why people aren't going to church, or perhaps have recently moved churches for some reason, basically peoples hurts and frustrations regarding 'Church', that there is a disconnect in how people see things and how the word of the Lord the bible teaches us in how we ought to love one another and forgive one another.  Hence why we are seeing a 'powerless' church.  The word says that if we bite and devour one another we will be destroyed (Gal 5:15) All of us have a heart and passion, yours might be for the lost, it might be for the single parents, or the sick, etc. but the Lord...

Assuming motives can be dangerous.

Reading 2 Sam 10 this morning and what struck me was how something so simple that was supposed to bless and encourage someone, can be totally taken the wrong way and in that, cause major damage. In this story King David is wanting to express kindness to Hanun whose father had died.   But Hanna’s nobles, those close around him, spoke to him and suggested that in fact he wasn’t wanting to express sympathy at the death of his father, but rather exploring and spying out the city in order to overthrow it.   Because of this, they attack those who are sent on behalf of King David and shame them and in return, David retaliates. Ki ng David’s heart was to bless and to honour another King, but after that King Hanun listened to those around him, who planted thoughts other than those of David’s, and in the process caused a war. How often do we not take things as face value but try to work something out according to the way we see it, rather than perhaps the way i...

Expectations and frustrations

Last night I had this dream and I saw myself going up the mountain with my husband and as we went up the mountain to the snow I saw the most beautiful waterfall flowing in the bush and the scenery was just beautiful and as we reached base camp there were many people waiting to go on the ski lift to the mountain but they were having to wait because as I watched the snow was melting so fast because the sun was coming out so strong the the snow was melting like right before your eyes and people were no longer able to ski.  People were getting frustrated because they had come to go skiing and now no longer were able to, but for others like myself I so was enjoying the scenery that because the snow was melting there was so much beauty all around.  At the same time there was aeroplanes flying around doing acrobatic flying in the sky and other people were in stands watching the planes flying around. As I looked at this this morning, I believe we are coming into a time where the ...