Skip to main content

Who is your family?

Something God is talking about to me and to others at the moment is about being a part of a family, no longer an individual doing their own thing.   Who is our family?

We are part of a body, and this is something I have been encouraging a lot over the years that we are not individuals, that none of us have it all, we need each other.  We are a body and all of us are different parts and without the other parts we are not complete.  A hand needs an arm, a foot needs a leg and without it they totally useless and unable to function.  We need each others giftings' and anointings' that God has given each one of us, in order to be a complete body, not lacking anything so that we can function as we are called to function, whole and complete.

We recently came back from a trip to Portugal and while I was there one of the many things God was showing me and reminding me of was who my family was and that was the people at home in NZ who loved me, who knew me, who understood me,  who had journeyed with me over years, who I felt I could cry with and grow with, and a place where I could be totally 'me'.  When I arrived home and went into our church family service on the Sunday I just started to cry as I needed to be able to cry and release some of what had happened overseas, even though it was a great time and God taught us so much,  it was still hard at times and completely what I needed in order to go to the next place in God.  And yet at the same time, the Lord showed me how much my NZ church family were my family, the safe place, the place where I could be 'me' and let down my guard so to speak.

Many of us are called to go into places that are not easy, that perhaps we might be called to go 'alone' in the going and it may seem like a 'front line war situation'.  That 'front line' is whatever you are called to, whether it may be to your neighbour who is struggling with cancer and you are helping them carry the load, whether that is to another country, whether that is to your 'work place' where it is a 'war zone' just to be a christian and to stand in what you believe.  It may be in a christian ministry situation say of 'Sozo', 'Healing Rooms', 'Youth Pastor', 'Worship leading', or 'Pastor'.   'We all have our 'areas' that the Lord has called us to take the front line in, it may simply (or not so simply as this can be the hardest place) be in our families as we continue to sow the love of God into a situation where abuse, physical, sexual, control, whatever it may be,  but we all need a place of 'safety', of 'encouragement' to keep going in the places we are in and called to.   Hence the need for the family of the body of the Christ to be that 'safe place' that 'haven', that 'time out' that we all need in order to go again out into the 'front line'.

If you believe you are called to be 'alone' in something that is fine, but I want to encourage you to make sure you can answer some questions;
Who is your family?
Do you know who is praying for you?
Do you have a place where you can cry on their shoulder?
Do you have a people who know you and encourage you to carry on in the call and vision on your life?
Who are the people that you come home to and rejoice with them of the testimonies to and ask questions on how to do things in the future?
Who are the people who can correct you, sharpen you, speak into your life that you will listen if you need correcting or discipling for your benefit and the benefit of who God sends you to?

If you can't answer some of these, then please start asking some questions to the Lord to reveal who these people are in your life,  or perhaps how to go about becoming a part of a 'family' where these things happen, because He never wants us to be alone as a lone sheep is easily attacked.   Jesus sent the disciples out 'two by two' and then they returned for more learning and teaching, but also sharing of what had happened, sharing the spoils of victory.  That 'family' may be made up in different places, and come from different arenas and walks of life as you have journeyed along the way, but please ask the Lord who those people are in your life so you have an army with you every time you move forward into the front line.  I was so blessed as we came home from Portugal to be able to come into my family that are around us in different ways, with a people who asked questions of how it went, of people saying what happened this day as I was woken to pray for you, or simply to give us a hug as I cried, or some money to go have a coffee just to encourage us.

Psalm 68:4-6
"Sing to God, Sing praise to his name.
Extol him who rides on the clouds,
His name is the Lord and rejoice before him.
A father to the fatherless, a defender of widows,
is God in His holy dwelling.
God sets the lonely in families, 
He leads forth the prisoners with singing;
but the rebellious live in a sun- sorched land."

Your family does not need to be a 'church' (building) family but it does need to be a family of faith in the Lord, a people who believe in Christ Jesus and want to walk in His way.  May the Lord bless each one of you as He is blessing us, with amazing people of God who can be a blessing to you as you are a blessing to them!









Popular posts from this blog

Latest Prayer Update

Since writing last – We continue to pray about the tent meeting but the Lord seems to continue to have that on hold as I believe he has another way of doing the same thing but in a new way where the whole body will be used and so we wait until all the pieces come together.   Please be patient with us in this. Africa – We continue to have words given to us about Africa and so the Lord is definitely talking about Africa but he seems to be widening the vision with it all, not just Malawi.   It seems more like at this stage visiting a number of African Countries wherever the Lord leads, empowering people – a bit like the last China trip but for longer and more countries and so too we wait for all the pieces to fit together. He has said to have our bags packed ready to go at a moments notice and so we have done that by faith, there are just a few other things that need to come together to make this possible.    Picton – We were blessed to be part of a team that we...

Do you have time for breakfast?

I had this dream last night where I saw my sister busy working in her restaurant.  She had advertised in the paper and she was so busy she had no time for her family.  I was sitting eating breakfast with my other sister feeling almost lazy in comparison with the first sister, but knowing that I was not lazy, but busy too in a different way.  I had no idea when she would have time for her family.  She was doing what she loved, she was bringing people into her restaurant and it was going really well, but her family life was suffering. In pondering on this, it speaks for itself really.  But added to that is that we can often compare with one another or judge one another in the way things are being done.  I think regularly of Nehemiah these days and how we are all called to rebuild the wall, but we all have different parts of the wall we are called to build and look after and each part is important to the whole wall.  So lets please as a body of Christ, ...

Will you play the piano - will you spit and touch a man's toungue?

We had our worship group the other night and to begin with I saw someone playing the playing so I asked if anyone could and would play the piano because that is what I saw happening in the spirit.  I may have been wrong in the what I saw but I stepped out in faith but alas no one stepped forward to play the piano so Jim played it and I believe in this the Lord was teaching us some valuable lessons.  Jim cannot play the piano at all but he was willing to be used. This morning I was reading in Mark 7:32-35  "There some people brought to him a man who was deaf and could hardly talk, and they begged him to place his hand on the man...    Jesus put his fingers into the man's ears.  Then he spit and touched the man's tongue.  He looked up to heaven and with a deep sigh said to him "Ephphatha!" (which means, "Be opened!).  At this the man's ears were opened, his tongue was loosened and he began to speak plainly. I was reminded of the other night ...

2 Chronicles 20 The Fear of a King

Yesterday I listened to a wonderful message from the Bethel weekly sermons on the Creative power of Thanksgiving. It was so good and something I talked a little about on Wednesday about giving thanks in all circumstances and how that changes our circumstances.  These are some of my thoughts as I searched the scriptures he brought; He talked from 2 Chron 20 about how Jehosphophat (King) feared the armies that were coming against him. Here was a king who was afraid. That gave me great encouragement right there, if a King can be afraid, then it's okay too if I am. I know for myself I am often afraid of things that I see coming and I don't know how to handle it. Neither did Jehosophophat and so he called all the people together and sought the Lord.  First position in our place of fear is to seek the Lord.  Verse 12 "For we have no power against the great multitude that is coming against us, nor do we know what to do, but our eyes are upon you." So often we don't kn...

Expectations and frustrations

Last night I had this dream and I saw myself going up the mountain with my husband and as we went up the mountain to the snow I saw the most beautiful waterfall flowing in the bush and the scenery was just beautiful and as we reached base camp there were many people waiting to go on the ski lift to the mountain but they were having to wait because as I watched the snow was melting so fast because the sun was coming out so strong the the snow was melting like right before your eyes and people were no longer able to ski.  People were getting frustrated because they had come to go skiing and now no longer were able to, but for others like myself I so was enjoying the scenery that because the snow was melting there was so much beauty all around.  At the same time there was aeroplanes flying around doing acrobatic flying in the sky and other people were in stands watching the planes flying around. As I looked at this this morning, I believe we are coming into a time where the ...

GRM Call to prayer - "Who will weep for the Bride?"

Something I realised in my recent trip away to the Canterbury region is again the confirmation and call of my heart to see the bride raised up to be who she is called to be. A pure spotless bride who is ready for her beloved and walking in everything He has promised us as His authority here on the earth.  I realised afresh as I listen to different people, hear and see different reasons as to why people aren't going to church, or perhaps have recently moved churches for some reason, basically peoples hurts and frustrations regarding 'Church', that there is a disconnect in how people see things and how the word of the Lord the bible teaches us in how we ought to love one another and forgive one another.  Hence why we are seeing a 'powerless' church.  The word says that if we bite and devour one another we will be destroyed (Gal 5:15) All of us have a heart and passion, yours might be for the lost, it might be for the single parents, or the sick, etc. but the Lord...