Skip to main content

Continuing on in Luke - Chapter 22:40 "Pray that you will not fall into temptation"

A couple of things that struck me this morning from Luke.
Jesus says to his disciples in 22:40 "Pray that you will not fall into temptation",  and then a few verses later while praying on the Mount of Olives Jesus, 'prayed more earnestly, and his sweat was like drops of blood falling to the ground'. (22:44) His prayer was obviously quite intense and I thought how much of my prayer is so intense that my praying produces sweat?  But the prayer he said to the disciples was 'pray that you will not fall into temptation'.  And then again in verses 46"Why are you sleeping?"  he asked them.  "Get up and pray so that you will not fall into temptation."
This call to pray that we don't fall into temptation I believe is so needed.  It is when we pray that we realise the different areas that we have fallen into temptation in such seemingly little things, but over time they become big things.  We succumb to temptation in so many ways and something that the Lord showed me in the next verses was the story of Judas who betrayed Jesus with a kiss for money.  Judas was his friend, had received so much from Jesus and yet come the time, he was the one who betrayed Jesus.  And shortly after as Jesus is put on the cross, Peter who once again had received so much from Jesus, followed him, and a few verses later ends up betraying Jesus and succumbing to temptation of fear of man.

How quickly we think we are doing alright and that we would never fall, and yet those who were closest to Jesus, fell to temptation, betrayed and disowned him, come the time of persecution and challenge.  For myself as I prayed this morning, I realised that I too had fallen to some areas of temptation. Where I had been hurt by people closest to me and had put a wall to guard my heart again and yet as by Jesus example, he forgave those closest to him and he asked the Father to forgive them.  It was very much like Judas how easily we can give someone a kiss as such, on the outside and yet our hearts are in a whole another place.  But in the praying the Lord shows us those areas that need his touch, those areas that need healing that only He can do, so that our hearts line up with our actions.

Lord I pray that we would not fall into temptation and I pray that those areas in our lives where we have succumbed in whatever way, you would show us and restore us.  For those people who perhaps have been hurt or betrayed by the people closest to them, Lord bring your healing, forgiveness and restoration.  Thank you Jesus that you too suffered at the hands of your friends and those who you had poured your life out to and for, and yet you show us a way to forgive through your example.  Thank you Lord for the joy set before us as we forgive.

Popular posts from this blog

Latest Prayer Update

Since writing last – We continue to pray about the tent meeting but the Lord seems to continue to have that on hold as I believe he has another way of doing the same thing but in a new way where the whole body will be used and so we wait until all the pieces come together.   Please be patient with us in this. Africa – We continue to have words given to us about Africa and so the Lord is definitely talking about Africa but he seems to be widening the vision with it all, not just Malawi.   It seems more like at this stage visiting a number of African Countries wherever the Lord leads, empowering people – a bit like the last China trip but for longer and more countries and so too we wait for all the pieces to fit together. He has said to have our bags packed ready to go at a moments notice and so we have done that by faith, there are just a few other things that need to come together to make this possible.    Picton – We were blessed to be part of a team that we...

Do you have time for breakfast?

I had this dream last night where I saw my sister busy working in her restaurant.  She had advertised in the paper and she was so busy she had no time for her family.  I was sitting eating breakfast with my other sister feeling almost lazy in comparison with the first sister, but knowing that I was not lazy, but busy too in a different way.  I had no idea when she would have time for her family.  She was doing what she loved, she was bringing people into her restaurant and it was going really well, but her family life was suffering. In pondering on this, it speaks for itself really.  But added to that is that we can often compare with one another or judge one another in the way things are being done.  I think regularly of Nehemiah these days and how we are all called to rebuild the wall, but we all have different parts of the wall we are called to build and look after and each part is important to the whole wall.  So lets please as a body of Christ, ...

Will you play the piano - will you spit and touch a man's toungue?

We had our worship group the other night and to begin with I saw someone playing the playing so I asked if anyone could and would play the piano because that is what I saw happening in the spirit.  I may have been wrong in the what I saw but I stepped out in faith but alas no one stepped forward to play the piano so Jim played it and I believe in this the Lord was teaching us some valuable lessons.  Jim cannot play the piano at all but he was willing to be used. This morning I was reading in Mark 7:32-35  "There some people brought to him a man who was deaf and could hardly talk, and they begged him to place his hand on the man...    Jesus put his fingers into the man's ears.  Then he spit and touched the man's tongue.  He looked up to heaven and with a deep sigh said to him "Ephphatha!" (which means, "Be opened!).  At this the man's ears were opened, his tongue was loosened and he began to speak plainly. I was reminded of the other night ...

2 Chronicles 20 The Fear of a King

Yesterday I listened to a wonderful message from the Bethel weekly sermons on the Creative power of Thanksgiving. It was so good and something I talked a little about on Wednesday about giving thanks in all circumstances and how that changes our circumstances.  These are some of my thoughts as I searched the scriptures he brought; He talked from 2 Chron 20 about how Jehosphophat (King) feared the armies that were coming against him. Here was a king who was afraid. That gave me great encouragement right there, if a King can be afraid, then it's okay too if I am. I know for myself I am often afraid of things that I see coming and I don't know how to handle it. Neither did Jehosophophat and so he called all the people together and sought the Lord.  First position in our place of fear is to seek the Lord.  Verse 12 "For we have no power against the great multitude that is coming against us, nor do we know what to do, but our eyes are upon you." So often we don't kn...

GRM Call to prayer - "Who will weep for the Bride?"

Something I realised in my recent trip away to the Canterbury region is again the confirmation and call of my heart to see the bride raised up to be who she is called to be. A pure spotless bride who is ready for her beloved and walking in everything He has promised us as His authority here on the earth.  I realised afresh as I listen to different people, hear and see different reasons as to why people aren't going to church, or perhaps have recently moved churches for some reason, basically peoples hurts and frustrations regarding 'Church', that there is a disconnect in how people see things and how the word of the Lord the bible teaches us in how we ought to love one another and forgive one another.  Hence why we are seeing a 'powerless' church.  The word says that if we bite and devour one another we will be destroyed (Gal 5:15) All of us have a heart and passion, yours might be for the lost, it might be for the single parents, or the sick, etc. but the Lord...

Assuming motives can be dangerous.

Reading 2 Sam 10 this morning and what struck me was how something so simple that was supposed to bless and encourage someone, can be totally taken the wrong way and in that, cause major damage. In this story King David is wanting to express kindness to Hanun whose father had died.   But Hanna’s nobles, those close around him, spoke to him and suggested that in fact he wasn’t wanting to express sympathy at the death of his father, but rather exploring and spying out the city in order to overthrow it.   Because of this, they attack those who are sent on behalf of King David and shame them and in return, David retaliates. Ki ng David’s heart was to bless and to honour another King, but after that King Hanun listened to those around him, who planted thoughts other than those of David’s, and in the process caused a war. How often do we not take things as face value but try to work something out according to the way we see it, rather than perhaps the way i...