Skip to main content

Arise & Shine, let your voice be heard

To speak or not to speak – this is the question?

Or perhaps it should be ‘how to speak?’

We live in a world where the rights of man are rising, the voices of differences of opinion are growing stronger and louder.  The justice of the world, right and wrong as seen through our own eyes, starting to arise. 

In this nation of NZ where "tall poppy syndrome' has been an issue as the accepted norm of the past, people are breaking out, rising up and learning to use their voice.  As rightly we ought as Christians. All good things to happen, all needed to happen.  For the bride to stand, awaken and arise and to shine for righteousness and justice.   To stand up for the poor and needy, to speak on behalf of those who can't.

With anything new, you have the swings in the spectrums as we all learn how to walk in a new way.  We say things more strongly than we ought, or perhaps we say things weaker where watering it down and don’t come across to effect any change.  

I stand on the side-lines of history taking place and see the different voices rising and what is now my part to stand up and speak.  What I am called to ‘stand’ for?  Each of us called to stand up for something different.

My heart is for the bride of Christ, I weep for the bride, I stand for righteousness and truth within the bride of Christ, so that she may be one who walks in power and not just talk.  Without righteousness and truth we have no power.  We are simply hypocrites, the very label we are given by the ‘world'.  

I am called by the Lord to speak to pastors and leaders, not something of my own desire but something the Lord has laid upon me, whether it be teaching, training, equipping or whatever the need.  Anyone who is wanting to stand up and speak and have their opinion heard, is a leader.  People follow you and they will judge you by your words and your actions, as I too am judged by yourselves for mine also.

In my own journey as wife, mother, friend, missionary, itinerant preacher, pastor, teacher, and leader, I have had quite a journey and background in experience and it's not over yet.  In learning where I have said something wrong, perhaps in the wrong tone, or in the wrong way, something with anger, something out of reaction, with and without authority, all seeing the effects of the way I speak, rightly or wrongly. Right heart, right motive, right stand for justice and righteousness but perhaps spoken wrongly at times.

Someone I listened to the other day said that the ‘ultimate act of love was to speak truth’ and I totally agree, but I also believe the one that comes with power to effect change, is one who speaks the truth in love.

Jesus came and spoke as 'one who had authority'.  He already was love incarnate.  And yet where and when did He use that authority?  He spoke to the pharisees, the religious leaders of the day with authority because of the neglect of justice, mercy & faithfulness (Matt 23:23).  He rebuked his disciples for their lack of faith, he got angry in the temple courts because of the money changing tables.  He challenged those within His Fathers house that were not walking in righteousness and in truth and he challenged quite strongly at times that upset peoples thinking.

To the world however, those not of His Kingdom, He spoke in parables.  He spoke in a way that made them stop and think and question, using real life examples they might understand, should they go deeper.  I Cor 9:19-23...To the weak I became weak, to win the weak.  I have become all things to all people so that by all possible means I might save some.  I do all this for the sake of the gospel, that I may share in its' blessings."  

There was one standard with the world, and one with the religious people of the day, those supposedly of His Kingdom.  We need to know our audience as to the context of which we speak if we want to be heard in order to win them.

Who is your audience?  What are you wanting to say?  And why?

Are the motives of your heart right to build up and encourage, speak truth in love to see change or are you simply wanting your opinion heard because you disagree with what is being said or done?

Does what we have to say is it intending to stir up descension or division? Or does it come with love having the other person’s best at heart?  If you were receiving it, would you like to receive it that way.?  Perhaps asking the question, am I walking in peace because if you are walking in peace you will most likely see a better outcome.

Perhaps our intent is for good to see change, but it stirs up discension and division then perhaps we may simply need to change the way to speak so that our listeners can hear it? 

I have had to and continue to have to change the way I speak and I still occasionally say it wrong, as I learn to negotiate my different listeners and where they are at, as to what they can receive.  

Every audience is different, just as Jesus’ way he spoke to the Pharisees was different to the way he spoke to ‘unbelievers’.  If our tongue, whether it be in a text, on a facebook post, or spoken, is a weapon and our words have power to build up and tear down, to have life and death on it, what could it look like to say it well? To see people receive what you are saying and the change come into being, without judgement, without perhaps criticism, and without pressure.

James 3:5 “The tongue is a small part of the body, but it makes great boasts.  Consider what a great forest is set on fire by a small spark.  The tongue also is a fire, a world of evil among the parts of the body.  It corrupts the whole body, sets the whole course of one’s life on fire and is itself set on fire by hell.”   V8  “With our tongue we praise our Lord and Father, and with it we curse human beings, who have been made in God’s likeness.  Out of the same mouth come praise and cursing."

It is certainly challenging to say the right thing the right way all the time and I know from my own experience I cannot do it without the Lords' help, but I know as it says in James 3:2 “We all stumble in many ways.  Anyone who is never at fault in what they say is perfect, able to keep their whole body in check.”  There is grace and there is forgiveness for your mistakes., We are no longer under law but under grace and freedom.

We know the effects of things spoken badly, we know there is always room for improvement on the way we speak. None of us get it right (especially me it seems as I am continually having to revisit this), but let’s be a people that grow in the fruit of the spirit to a place that when we speak our love is louder than our words.  That if we say it the wrong way, that people would know that the intent of our heart and motive is one of love, to build the other up to the knowledge of God.  That we would show love that forgive,s as Christ forgave us, while we were yet sinners.

Bless you all in this journey in this new wine skin of learning to arise and shine and to speak the truth in love to effect change in the world in which we live.

In summary, some practical pointers I have learnt that may be helpful;

1.  Do you have the best for the other person at heart or are you seeing the dirt/speck?  If so wait until you see the good in the other person or situation that you are speaking too.

2.  Do you come in peace, having worked it through with the Lord?

3.  Do you need to speak?  Are you speaking for those who cannot speak for themselves, or perhaps you are defending the rights of the poor and needy?

4.  Is it stiring up discension or is it bringing a solution to the problem?

4.  Can it wait?

5.  Are you reacting or responding?

6.  Who is your audience and are you meeting them where they are at?

 

Popular posts from this blog

Do you have time for breakfast?

I had this dream last night where I saw my sister busy working in her restaurant.  She had advertised in the paper and she was so busy she had no time for her family.  I was sitting eating breakfast with my other sister feeling almost lazy in comparison with the first sister, but knowing that I was not lazy, but busy too in a different way.  I had no idea when she would have time for her family.  She was doing what she loved, she was bringing people into her restaurant and it was going really well, but her family life was suffering. In pondering on this, it speaks for itself really.  But added to that is that we can often compare with one another or judge one another in the way things are being done.  I think regularly of Nehemiah these days and how we are all called to rebuild the wall, but we all have different parts of the wall we are called to build and look after and each part is important to the whole wall.  So lets please as a body of Christ, ...

Latest Prayer Update

Since writing last – We continue to pray about the tent meeting but the Lord seems to continue to have that on hold as I believe he has another way of doing the same thing but in a new way where the whole body will be used and so we wait until all the pieces come together.   Please be patient with us in this. Africa – We continue to have words given to us about Africa and so the Lord is definitely talking about Africa but he seems to be widening the vision with it all, not just Malawi.   It seems more like at this stage visiting a number of African Countries wherever the Lord leads, empowering people – a bit like the last China trip but for longer and more countries and so too we wait for all the pieces to fit together. He has said to have our bags packed ready to go at a moments notice and so we have done that by faith, there are just a few other things that need to come together to make this possible.    Picton – We were blessed to be part of a team that we...

Will you play the piano - will you spit and touch a man's toungue?

We had our worship group the other night and to begin with I saw someone playing the playing so I asked if anyone could and would play the piano because that is what I saw happening in the spirit.  I may have been wrong in the what I saw but I stepped out in faith but alas no one stepped forward to play the piano so Jim played it and I believe in this the Lord was teaching us some valuable lessons.  Jim cannot play the piano at all but he was willing to be used. This morning I was reading in Mark 7:32-35  "There some people brought to him a man who was deaf and could hardly talk, and they begged him to place his hand on the man...    Jesus put his fingers into the man's ears.  Then he spit and touched the man's tongue.  He looked up to heaven and with a deep sigh said to him "Ephphatha!" (which means, "Be opened!).  At this the man's ears were opened, his tongue was loosened and he began to speak plainly. I was reminded of the other night ...

Moving on from Bulawayo to Mozambique

Dear friends, It has been an interesting time here and the last few days the helper in the house has brought us her relatives and friends to pray for, so plenty of opportunity to impart what the Lord is saying to people and pray for them in their situations.  Walking into town this morning we came across a girl who had been having seizures  what we believe for several hours and needing medical attention lying on the path.  She was not conscious and it was quite scarey at one point, but  as we began praying for her saw life come back into her eyes and see her respond so that was encouraging. We believe it is now time for us to move on from here and so we have booked a bus heading to Harare the captial of Zimbabwe and then onto Mutare which is the boarder town of Mozambique and then onto Chimoio where we will stay with some friends that we met in South Africa who are working in Mozambique.  So we catch a bus on Thursday morning and hopefully will be in Chimoio...

Assuming motives can be dangerous.

Reading 2 Sam 10 this morning and what struck me was how something so simple that was supposed to bless and encourage someone, can be totally taken the wrong way and in that, cause major damage. In this story King David is wanting to express kindness to Hanun whose father had died.   But Hanna’s nobles, those close around him, spoke to him and suggested that in fact he wasn’t wanting to express sympathy at the death of his father, but rather exploring and spying out the city in order to overthrow it.   Because of this, they attack those who are sent on behalf of King David and shame them and in return, David retaliates. Ki ng David’s heart was to bless and to honour another King, but after that King Hanun listened to those around him, who planted thoughts other than those of David’s, and in the process caused a war. How often do we not take things as face value but try to work something out according to the way we see it, rather than perhaps the way i...

Kiwi Culture verses Kingdom Culture

The above is the title of a book that I have on my heart.  Whether or not it ever makes it there we will see but in the process I want to put some thoughts down and see what it opens up. I grew up with phrases like "God helps those who help themselves" or "Too spiritually minded to be any earthly good".  There are many many more that I am sure you know of - I would love to hear them so please blog me about them or Facebook me so I can add them.  But phrases like that that we grew up with that actually have become a part of world view and things we base our lives on.  Things of our culture that are so much a part of culture that we think is actually a part of the bible or at the very least is no big deal in God's eyes; like sarcasm.  I have had to question some of these phrases - "where does it say in the bible God helps those who help themselves?"  "What actually is sarcasm and does it build up and encourage people?" etc. Jim and I lived ...