Skip to main content

How's your 'vineyard'?


I have been reading through the book of Song of Songs and a couple of scriptures that jumped out at me as I read it this time was all vineyards.

In Song of Songs it reads 1:6 "My mother's sons were angry with me and made me take care of the vineyards; my own vineyard I had to neglect."

So often we can be looking after other people's vineyards, other peoples fields, and our own can come into a state of neglect, often without even realising it.  In the scripture above it writes they 'made me take care of',  but often it's not other people making it, rather we sometimes can't say no,  or perhaps we have lost sight of what is important, or we have just got busy and we haven't even noticed.

I know as a mother we often look after our children's welfare before our own.  In our job we can look after the welfare of the business we are working for, or if we are the boss, the employees in our care.  In marriage we become familiar with one another that 'dating' may gone out the window as the 'romance' gets caught up in the mundane.  Perhaps at church you are busy doing things in church that you might miss altogether what God is saying and doing in a service.  All good things, but the beautiful reminder of this scripture is that we remember not to neglect the state of our own vineyard.

Recently as a team we have been praying and asking the Lord to catch for us the foxes, the little foxes that ruin the vineyards, our vineyards that are in bloom. (Song of Songs 2:15).  We have been praying this because there are little things that like a little fox, want to come in and ruin our vineyards, but if we see them then we can deal with them.  Little things like negativity for example that wants to come in and ruin that culture of faith we are trying to produce in our vineyard.  Little foxes in our relationships with one another for example thinking the worst rather than the best of a person.  Little foxes that perhaps that bring in doubt, questioning and confusion instead of clarity of thinking and direction.

The other scripture that talked about vineyards in Song of Songs was in chapter 8 verses 11 and 12.  "Solomon had a vineyard in Baal Hamon; he let out his vineyard to tenants. Each was to bring for its fruit a thousand shekels of silver.  But my own vineyard is mine to give;"

What struck me with this verse, that my own vineyard is mine to give.  No one can take it from you, unless you give it to them.  And we can freely give to whomever we choose, do with it whatever we please but the power remains in our hands.  Therefore the fruit of the vineyard is due to the one who tends the vines.  If we look after it, it will be fruitful, but if we neglect it and allow foxes to come in and ruin the vines, then there will not be much fruit to show.  

I want to be a person who is 'fruitful' in all that I do, I want to be a person who can share my fruit with those in need, I want to be a person who has enough to give to others, not holding it all for myself and so therefore I need to take time to tend to my vineyard, not just everyone else's.  I need to be wise like the wise virgins who had enough oil that when the bridegroom arrived, they were found ready.  (Matt 25)

It has and continues to be a difficult journey to make time for myself and to care about myself, and so these scriptures from Song of Songs is a great reminder not to neglect my own vineyard.  But I realise unless I do take 'time out' for me, then I have nothing to give others.

If you are anything like me, let me encourage you to take some time and to 'come away' with your beloved, to come away and find some time to be refreshed, to do some things you might enjoy. You might like photography, or going to the movies, or taking a walk on the beach, but whatever it is where you get refreshed, can see things clearly and hear his voice, then let me encourage you in that and may your vineyard be fruitful 😊




Popular posts from this blog

Latest Prayer Update

Since writing last – We continue to pray about the tent meeting but the Lord seems to continue to have that on hold as I believe he has another way of doing the same thing but in a new way where the whole body will be used and so we wait until all the pieces come together.   Please be patient with us in this. Africa – We continue to have words given to us about Africa and so the Lord is definitely talking about Africa but he seems to be widening the vision with it all, not just Malawi.   It seems more like at this stage visiting a number of African Countries wherever the Lord leads, empowering people – a bit like the last China trip but for longer and more countries and so too we wait for all the pieces to fit together. He has said to have our bags packed ready to go at a moments notice and so we have done that by faith, there are just a few other things that need to come together to make this possible.    Picton – We were blessed to be part of a team that we...

Will you play the piano - will you spit and touch a man's toungue?

We had our worship group the other night and to begin with I saw someone playing the playing so I asked if anyone could and would play the piano because that is what I saw happening in the spirit.  I may have been wrong in the what I saw but I stepped out in faith but alas no one stepped forward to play the piano so Jim played it and I believe in this the Lord was teaching us some valuable lessons.  Jim cannot play the piano at all but he was willing to be used. This morning I was reading in Mark 7:32-35  "There some people brought to him a man who was deaf and could hardly talk, and they begged him to place his hand on the man...    Jesus put his fingers into the man's ears.  Then he spit and touched the man's tongue.  He looked up to heaven and with a deep sigh said to him "Ephphatha!" (which means, "Be opened!).  At this the man's ears were opened, his tongue was loosened and he began to speak plainly. I was reminded of the other night ...

2 Chronicles 20 The Fear of a King

Yesterday I listened to a wonderful message from the Bethel weekly sermons on the Creative power of Thanksgiving. It was so good and something I talked a little about on Wednesday about giving thanks in all circumstances and how that changes our circumstances.  These are some of my thoughts as I searched the scriptures he brought; He talked from 2 Chron 20 about how Jehosphophat (King) feared the armies that were coming against him. Here was a king who was afraid. That gave me great encouragement right there, if a King can be afraid, then it's okay too if I am. I know for myself I am often afraid of things that I see coming and I don't know how to handle it. Neither did Jehosophophat and so he called all the people together and sought the Lord.  First position in our place of fear is to seek the Lord.  Verse 12 "For we have no power against the great multitude that is coming against us, nor do we know what to do, but our eyes are upon you." So often we don't kn...

GRM Call to prayer - "Who will weep for the Bride?"

Something I realised in my recent trip away to the Canterbury region is again the confirmation and call of my heart to see the bride raised up to be who she is called to be. A pure spotless bride who is ready for her beloved and walking in everything He has promised us as His authority here on the earth.  I realised afresh as I listen to different people, hear and see different reasons as to why people aren't going to church, or perhaps have recently moved churches for some reason, basically peoples hurts and frustrations regarding 'Church', that there is a disconnect in how people see things and how the word of the Lord the bible teaches us in how we ought to love one another and forgive one another.  Hence why we are seeing a 'powerless' church.  The word says that if we bite and devour one another we will be destroyed (Gal 5:15) All of us have a heart and passion, yours might be for the lost, it might be for the single parents, or the sick, etc. but the Lord...

Assuming motives can be dangerous.

Reading 2 Sam 10 this morning and what struck me was how something so simple that was supposed to bless and encourage someone, can be totally taken the wrong way and in that, cause major damage. In this story King David is wanting to express kindness to Hanun whose father had died.   But Hanna’s nobles, those close around him, spoke to him and suggested that in fact he wasn’t wanting to express sympathy at the death of his father, but rather exploring and spying out the city in order to overthrow it.   Because of this, they attack those who are sent on behalf of King David and shame them and in return, David retaliates. Ki ng David’s heart was to bless and to honour another King, but after that King Hanun listened to those around him, who planted thoughts other than those of David’s, and in the process caused a war. How often do we not take things as face value but try to work something out according to the way we see it, rather than perhaps the way i...

Expectations and frustrations

Last night I had this dream and I saw myself going up the mountain with my husband and as we went up the mountain to the snow I saw the most beautiful waterfall flowing in the bush and the scenery was just beautiful and as we reached base camp there were many people waiting to go on the ski lift to the mountain but they were having to wait because as I watched the snow was melting so fast because the sun was coming out so strong the the snow was melting like right before your eyes and people were no longer able to ski.  People were getting frustrated because they had come to go skiing and now no longer were able to, but for others like myself I so was enjoying the scenery that because the snow was melting there was so much beauty all around.  At the same time there was aeroplanes flying around doing acrobatic flying in the sky and other people were in stands watching the planes flying around. As I looked at this this morning, I believe we are coming into a time where the ...