Skip to main content

You think you don't, but I bet you do, even if only in some small way....

Something the Lord talked about recently was about 'coveting' and the definition of this is:

 "to feel strong or immoderate desire for"
"to wish for something longingly"
"yearn to possess something especially something belonging to another”.


In my vision that led me to thinking about coveting, I saw someone coveting their future but someone else was living in that place already and they had to wait.  Often we may find ourselves coveting those people who have where we believe we are 'going to be' in the Lord.  The promise the Lord has given us. Perhaps that might be the future promise of children that we don't yet have, the future promise of a house, the future promise of those spiritual leaders we admire but perhaps we are longing to be now.

This is not a topic often preached about and I find in my thinking what a powerful topic that needs to be talked about as I believe if we became a satisfied people, like Paul writes where he learned to be 'content' in whatever circumstances, how differently our worlds around us would look.

Exodus 20:17 "You shall not covet your neighbour’s house.  You shall not covet your neighbour’s wife, or his manservant or maidservant, his ox or donkey, or anything that belongs to your neighbour.”

It’s a powerful scripture because often we ‘covet’, we ‘desire’ what we do not have and our lives are often lived in a state of dissatisfaction because of what we may have had once that we no longer have now, or we are wanting something we have yet to have.  All of this comes from a place of not understanding the fullness of who and whose we are in Christ and our identity found in him, but that is a whole another topic but when addressing something like coveting, needs to be understood.

James 4:1-3  “What causes fights and quarrels among you?  Don’t they come from your desires that battle within you?  You want something but don’t get it.  You kill and covet, but you cannot have want you want.  You quarrel and fight.  You do not have, because you do not ask God.  When you ask, you do not receive, because you ask with wrong motives, that you may spend when you get on your pleasures.”

This is a really hard scripture to digest because within all of us, when we take a look at our lives, all of us in some way I am sure fight and quarrel about things.  I remember as a parent when my daughter didn’t do what she was asked, by the third or fourth time of asking, my voice was raised and a full on argument was occurring.  But the reality is one or both of us was not getting our own way, hence the argument.  And so I had to examine this journey in my parenting and also in my relationship with my husband and look at why I was arguing or fighting and was it worth what I was fighting for or could I do this another way which would be more productive and less harmful for all concerned?

Recently I was chatting with some one about the ‘new move’ of God and how it looked and this person seemed to think it looked a certain way and I think it looks a certain way and yet who is right and who is wrong?   Actually we have to be careful that we are not holding on to ‘old’ wineskins of what we think it looks because we think we have seen it.  When  we do this we make an 'idol' of something instead of continually living a day by day walk a walk of faith with the Lord and he will lead us into the 'new thing' which is actually 'new' every morning.  If something like this is breaking relationships with people because of different thinking, then I am fighting with my neighbour and so it needs to be assessed in the light of God’s word rather than our own desires that well up within us.

It’s a huge topic but I believe the Lord wants us to repent from ‘coveting’ those things that we ‘desire’ and don’t yet possess, those things that cause arguments in our lives, those things that we are continually pursuing whether it be financial success, a body that looks stunning, a new car, the ‘new move of God,’ whatever it may look like, that says the place I am in I am not satisfied in.  Let's be a people that are learning to give thanks in all circumstances, whether well feed or hungry, whether possessing everything or possessing nothing, whether liked by others or not, whether having the latest gadgets or having no gadgets.  When we give thanks and we look at the good in our lives, we no longer look at the 'lack'.  Bless you all.




Popular posts from this blog

Latest Prayer Update

Since writing last – We continue to pray about the tent meeting but the Lord seems to continue to have that on hold as I believe he has another way of doing the same thing but in a new way where the whole body will be used and so we wait until all the pieces come together.   Please be patient with us in this. Africa – We continue to have words given to us about Africa and so the Lord is definitely talking about Africa but he seems to be widening the vision with it all, not just Malawi.   It seems more like at this stage visiting a number of African Countries wherever the Lord leads, empowering people – a bit like the last China trip but for longer and more countries and so too we wait for all the pieces to fit together. He has said to have our bags packed ready to go at a moments notice and so we have done that by faith, there are just a few other things that need to come together to make this possible.    Picton – We were blessed to be part of a team that we...

Will you play the piano - will you spit and touch a man's toungue?

We had our worship group the other night and to begin with I saw someone playing the playing so I asked if anyone could and would play the piano because that is what I saw happening in the spirit.  I may have been wrong in the what I saw but I stepped out in faith but alas no one stepped forward to play the piano so Jim played it and I believe in this the Lord was teaching us some valuable lessons.  Jim cannot play the piano at all but he was willing to be used. This morning I was reading in Mark 7:32-35  "There some people brought to him a man who was deaf and could hardly talk, and they begged him to place his hand on the man...    Jesus put his fingers into the man's ears.  Then he spit and touched the man's tongue.  He looked up to heaven and with a deep sigh said to him "Ephphatha!" (which means, "Be opened!).  At this the man's ears were opened, his tongue was loosened and he began to speak plainly. I was reminded of the other night ...

2 Chronicles 20 The Fear of a King

Yesterday I listened to a wonderful message from the Bethel weekly sermons on the Creative power of Thanksgiving. It was so good and something I talked a little about on Wednesday about giving thanks in all circumstances and how that changes our circumstances.  These are some of my thoughts as I searched the scriptures he brought; He talked from 2 Chron 20 about how Jehosphophat (King) feared the armies that were coming against him. Here was a king who was afraid. That gave me great encouragement right there, if a King can be afraid, then it's okay too if I am. I know for myself I am often afraid of things that I see coming and I don't know how to handle it. Neither did Jehosophophat and so he called all the people together and sought the Lord.  First position in our place of fear is to seek the Lord.  Verse 12 "For we have no power against the great multitude that is coming against us, nor do we know what to do, but our eyes are upon you." So often we don't kn...

GRM Call to prayer - "Who will weep for the Bride?"

Something I realised in my recent trip away to the Canterbury region is again the confirmation and call of my heart to see the bride raised up to be who she is called to be. A pure spotless bride who is ready for her beloved and walking in everything He has promised us as His authority here on the earth.  I realised afresh as I listen to different people, hear and see different reasons as to why people aren't going to church, or perhaps have recently moved churches for some reason, basically peoples hurts and frustrations regarding 'Church', that there is a disconnect in how people see things and how the word of the Lord the bible teaches us in how we ought to love one another and forgive one another.  Hence why we are seeing a 'powerless' church.  The word says that if we bite and devour one another we will be destroyed (Gal 5:15) All of us have a heart and passion, yours might be for the lost, it might be for the single parents, or the sick, etc. but the Lord...

Assuming motives can be dangerous.

Reading 2 Sam 10 this morning and what struck me was how something so simple that was supposed to bless and encourage someone, can be totally taken the wrong way and in that, cause major damage. In this story King David is wanting to express kindness to Hanun whose father had died.   But Hanna’s nobles, those close around him, spoke to him and suggested that in fact he wasn’t wanting to express sympathy at the death of his father, but rather exploring and spying out the city in order to overthrow it.   Because of this, they attack those who are sent on behalf of King David and shame them and in return, David retaliates. Ki ng David’s heart was to bless and to honour another King, but after that King Hanun listened to those around him, who planted thoughts other than those of David’s, and in the process caused a war. How often do we not take things as face value but try to work something out according to the way we see it, rather than perhaps the way i...

Expectations and frustrations

Last night I had this dream and I saw myself going up the mountain with my husband and as we went up the mountain to the snow I saw the most beautiful waterfall flowing in the bush and the scenery was just beautiful and as we reached base camp there were many people waiting to go on the ski lift to the mountain but they were having to wait because as I watched the snow was melting so fast because the sun was coming out so strong the the snow was melting like right before your eyes and people were no longer able to ski.  People were getting frustrated because they had come to go skiing and now no longer were able to, but for others like myself I so was enjoying the scenery that because the snow was melting there was so much beauty all around.  At the same time there was aeroplanes flying around doing acrobatic flying in the sky and other people were in stands watching the planes flying around. As I looked at this this morning, I believe we are coming into a time where the ...