Skip to main content

Some thoughts on dealing with offences


How do I deal with offenses?

The other morning the Lord showed me something in a dream where I had caused offense to someone and so I asked the Lord what it was that I had done that created that offense.  There was nothing that came to mind that I felt I needed to go to that person to apologise for, nothing that was obvious, but then the Lord showed me.  I had judged that person in my heart and in so doing was holding that person in a different light than I had previously.  That may not seem much and I know we all do it, but if we truly love people then we no longer see them with the thing we have judged them for but rather we see them as Christ sees them.  Free from sin, free from judgement with all the possibilities, hopes and future that there is in them.  We see all their good qualities, the good characteristics.  We no longer see the sin or not even the sin, but the thing we think they may need to change in, but we see them as Christ sees them, beautifully and wonderfully created with a hope and a future, we see the gold and not the dirt.

This is huge if you stop and see the ramifications of that judgement in my heart.  As a leader in ministry, do we then allow that person to continue on ministering?  When we judge someone in their sin or in their weakness, or in their personality, we say in our hearts "prove yourself before we allow you to minister to others" hence bringing people under law again. Or we don't trust you, in effect saying you have to have it all together before I will let you do anything again.  It is no different in our lives with the people we judge and then hold them at arms length in our lives because we see them differently than we did prior to that failure or difference.  But Jesus never did that.  He knew what was in Judas's heart and yet he still allowed him to hold the money.  He knew that Peter was going to deny him three times and yet he still built his church on him.  He knew we were going to crucify him on the cross but he still went to the cross saying father forgive them, they do not know what they are doing.   1 Cor 13 – always hoping, always trusting…..

Proverbs 18:19  “An offended brother is like a fortified city whose walls cannot be broken down.”

What do we do with offense?  Whether we have received it or if we have given it to others?
Like in proverbs we become this fortified city and don't let people in because of fear of hurt or for whatever reason, lack of trust etc.  But the Lord doesn't want us to go down that track.  He wants us to learn to deal with offenses so that our hearts remain open to him and to others.

Jeremiah 12:5-6  "If you have raced with men on foot and they have worn you out, how can you compete with horses?  If you stumble in safe country, how will you manage in the thickets by the Jordan? "  The Lord is wanting to teach us how to deal with things like offenses so like this scripture above we don't get worn out in the safe ground so that when things come from other places we know how to deal with it in such a way that it doesn't effect us. 

We grow tired and weary  in our own strength but the Lord wants to teach us that when we trust in him to sort things out, when we let him be the judge and the vindicator, we will rise up on eagles wings and not grow tired and weary,  that we will run and not grow faint.

So on a practical level how do we deal with offenses?  Here are some thoughts that may help you.  Obviously not the be all and end all to how to deal with offenses, but some things that help me on a daily basis, and may help you.

For me, firstly I need to check my heart and see what offenses there are?  Search my heart oh God, show me any wicked way in me?
Then realising that I have hurt someone with my words or my actions, I ask the Lord for forgiveness and bless that person.  But I need to also check, “ Is this something that I need to go to that person and apologise for?.  Would it have wounded them?”  And if so then I would go to that person.  Once done, it is finished.  No longer to come under condemnation again because I have done my best and made every effort to keep the unity of the spirit in the bond of peace.  Whether or not they forgive you is not your responsibility, it is theirs.  They can no longer hold you accountable for it because you have brought it before the Lord and before them.

If someone has offended me with their words or actions?
Sometimes people say things and sometimes there is a ring of truth to their words and we don't want to hear it.  So we need to sift out what is of God and what is not.  What are the words that are true and not take offense to the truth even though it may hurt at times, but to listen to it as it may be something we can't see about ourselves and in someone bringing it, may actually help us to move forward.  But sometimes there are words that are spoken in anger or from a place of judgement toward us, that are not of the Lord and those words we need to let go over us.  In proverbs it says about a "fluttering curse has no place to land".  I have found that when I am doing well the things people say about me don't effect me because I can recognise the truth, but when I am not doing so well emotionally or spiritually, those words that people say are like arrows in my heart that wound.  They may be the same words but because of how I am reacting or feeling about things, I take it differently, not their problem but mine.

I find that these situations are all good and that is why Paul writes so much to rejoice and again I say rejoice, why - because the things that come at us like this, help us to find out and discern who we really are in Christ and who we are not and so when having worked through all this, we find it easier for things to fall away that are not of God, but first we have to learn the truth about ourselves and know who we are in Christ.  We can easily be offended but we have to make a choice not to take offense and to give to God what is not ours to pick up, what other people are giving us that is actually their own judgements or the lens in which they see through, or perhaps even the words that have been spoken over their own lives by others which they are now projecting onto you out of their own hurt.

Sometimes we need to go to those people who have hurt us and say to them that they are hurting us, especially if it continues, as sometimes people do not even know that their words or actions hurt us and I am sure their intention is not to hurt.  Sometimes people’s personality just rub us up the wrong way and we can be offended simply because their personality is different to mine and therefore I judge their behaviour against the measure I set as perhaps sin when it is not and that is something I have to deal with.

Each of us look through lenses and we all see things differently but the stable and sure foundation is found in the bible and what the Lord would say about you and with that we need to line everything up with.  We need to learn to give grace and forgiveness to others as Christ has given it to us and doesn't hold us in that place of sin.  As he has forgiven us our sins so we too are to forgive others theirs.  Prov 19:11 "A man's wisdom give him patience; it is to his glory to overlook an offense."   We pray for wisdom but to get wisdom we have to go through things which lead us and teach us, which give us the wisdom that we have been asking for.  We know we have truly forgiven someone when we see that person and not find out hearts holding back and protecting ourselves.   So let me encourage you to search your heart before the Lord and see if there is any offenses in your heart that would make you like the barred gates of a citadel (prov 18:19) that nothing can get through or whether our hearts are soft toward man and toward God.

Popular posts from this blog

Latest Prayer Update

Since writing last – We continue to pray about the tent meeting but the Lord seems to continue to have that on hold as I believe he has another way of doing the same thing but in a new way where the whole body will be used and so we wait until all the pieces come together.   Please be patient with us in this. Africa – We continue to have words given to us about Africa and so the Lord is definitely talking about Africa but he seems to be widening the vision with it all, not just Malawi.   It seems more like at this stage visiting a number of African Countries wherever the Lord leads, empowering people – a bit like the last China trip but for longer and more countries and so too we wait for all the pieces to fit together. He has said to have our bags packed ready to go at a moments notice and so we have done that by faith, there are just a few other things that need to come together to make this possible.    Picton – We were blessed to be part of a team that we...

Will you play the piano - will you spit and touch a man's toungue?

We had our worship group the other night and to begin with I saw someone playing the playing so I asked if anyone could and would play the piano because that is what I saw happening in the spirit.  I may have been wrong in the what I saw but I stepped out in faith but alas no one stepped forward to play the piano so Jim played it and I believe in this the Lord was teaching us some valuable lessons.  Jim cannot play the piano at all but he was willing to be used. This morning I was reading in Mark 7:32-35  "There some people brought to him a man who was deaf and could hardly talk, and they begged him to place his hand on the man...    Jesus put his fingers into the man's ears.  Then he spit and touched the man's tongue.  He looked up to heaven and with a deep sigh said to him "Ephphatha!" (which means, "Be opened!).  At this the man's ears were opened, his tongue was loosened and he began to speak plainly. I was reminded of the other night ...

2 Chronicles 20 The Fear of a King

Yesterday I listened to a wonderful message from the Bethel weekly sermons on the Creative power of Thanksgiving. It was so good and something I talked a little about on Wednesday about giving thanks in all circumstances and how that changes our circumstances.  These are some of my thoughts as I searched the scriptures he brought; He talked from 2 Chron 20 about how Jehosphophat (King) feared the armies that were coming against him. Here was a king who was afraid. That gave me great encouragement right there, if a King can be afraid, then it's okay too if I am. I know for myself I am often afraid of things that I see coming and I don't know how to handle it. Neither did Jehosophophat and so he called all the people together and sought the Lord.  First position in our place of fear is to seek the Lord.  Verse 12 "For we have no power against the great multitude that is coming against us, nor do we know what to do, but our eyes are upon you." So often we don't kn...

Infestation of bugs on the wall....

This morning I had a quick picture the Lord showed me.  We had some bugs on the wall and he showed me it didn't take much to get rid of them, just needed to spray them and they would die.  But as I asked the Lord with Jim in prayer as to where these bugs came from and why they had got into our house, the Lord showed us an area in our lives where we had a little bit of unbelief. I share this picture with you as so easily something small can get into your 'house' like fleas and unless untreated it can become an infestation that is harder to deal with than if you dealt with it straight away.  The Lord showed us an area that needed a slight adjustment in our speaking and in our thinking that had allowed these very subtle if not slightly smiling bugs (deception) into our home.  It was easy to deal with through repentance and realigning our thinking with what the words says and it was no big deal, the bugs were dealt with and killed and our wall once again was made clean...

GRM Call to prayer - "Who will weep for the Bride?"

Something I realised in my recent trip away to the Canterbury region is again the confirmation and call of my heart to see the bride raised up to be who she is called to be. A pure spotless bride who is ready for her beloved and walking in everything He has promised us as His authority here on the earth.  I realised afresh as I listen to different people, hear and see different reasons as to why people aren't going to church, or perhaps have recently moved churches for some reason, basically peoples hurts and frustrations regarding 'Church', that there is a disconnect in how people see things and how the word of the Lord the bible teaches us in how we ought to love one another and forgive one another.  Hence why we are seeing a 'powerless' church.  The word says that if we bite and devour one another we will be destroyed (Gal 5:15) All of us have a heart and passion, yours might be for the lost, it might be for the single parents, or the sick, etc. but the Lord...

Let's not be a 'passerby' this Christmas

If you were to see a car accident happen would you stop and help the people in the car or would you drive by believing that others will help them and keep going to where you were headed? This morning I was woken by a request by the pastor in India where we visited three years ago requesting help for the orphanage and daily needs as they were struggling and I thought of the dream I had this morning about a car accident that had happened and those that walked by.  For many of us every day things have happened to the people around us that need our help in some way. The Lord took me to James 2:5  "Listen my dear brothers and sisters:  Has not God chosen those who are poor in the eyes of the world to be rich in faith and to inherit the kingdom he promised those who love him?  But you have dishonoured the poor.....  v14 What good is it, my brothers and sisters if someone claims to have faith but has no deeds?  Can such faith save them?  Suppose a br...