Skip to main content

Words are powerful weapons

The Lord has been recently challenging me on some of the words I speak (even in the sharing of testimony) and the motives of the heart that underline those words that come out from my mouth.  Words are powerful things and if we allow the Lord to reveal what is underneath some of our words, then we realise what is actually at the root or at the heart of the words we speak that may need healing or truth spoken into such things.

With our tongue comes either blessing or cursing.
With our tongue the overflow of the heart speaks (Matt 12:34)
With our tongue we can turn a whole ship, or set a spark which creates a huge fire that sets the whole course of our life (James 3:5)
With our tongue we praise our Lord and Father and with it we curse men, who have been made in God’s likeness (James 3:19)

Prov 19:16  “How much better to get wisdom than gold, to choose understanding rather than silver.”

For example:
  • are  the words I am speaking lifting me up and putting others down? (sarcasm and gossip does that).
  • or making me look good in other peoples eyes?
  • or judging or criticising another?
  • am I speaking with anger and if so why?
  • or coming from a heart that is harbouring hurt, rejection or fear?
  • are the words I am speaking coming from unbelief and doubt and not bringing faith and hope into a situation?

It's a hard challenge to accept and receive correction on in the Lord, but when we do, we will receive not only forgiveness, but a blessing and our lives will take a different course and bring life and blessing, not only to ourselves, but to all those around us.  People will want to come to you because you bring life and not death, as it is in the power of the tongue.
Pro 16:12 “Kings take pleasure in honest lips, they value a man who speaks the truth”.

Prov 19:14 
“May the words of my mouth
and the meditation of my heart
be pleasing in your sight O Lord, 
My Rock and My Redeemer.”

Lord I thank you that you reveal truth that sets me free.
Thank you that you show us through our words what actually is in our heart if we allow you to examine the motives of our heart.  
Lord bring healing to those places of our hearts that need your touch, your forgiveness and help us to be a people that our words promote life, that people are drawn to us because of the words we speak.
Thank you Jesus that you are turning everything for good for those who love you and are called according to your purpose, that you redeem and restore what has been lost and turn it for your glory and that we are being transformed by the renewing of our minds day by day and that there is no condemnation in you.  Thank you Jesus.



Popular posts from this blog

Do you have time for breakfast?

I had this dream last night where I saw my sister busy working in her restaurant.  She had advertised in the paper and she was so busy she had no time for her family.  I was sitting eating breakfast with my other sister feeling almost lazy in comparison with the first sister, but knowing that I was not lazy, but busy too in a different way.  I had no idea when she would have time for her family.  She was doing what she loved, she was bringing people into her restaurant and it was going really well, but her family life was suffering. In pondering on this, it speaks for itself really.  But added to that is that we can often compare with one another or judge one another in the way things are being done.  I think regularly of Nehemiah these days and how we are all called to rebuild the wall, but we all have different parts of the wall we are called to build and look after and each part is important to the whole wall.  So lets please as a body of Christ, ...

Latest Prayer Update

Since writing last – We continue to pray about the tent meeting but the Lord seems to continue to have that on hold as I believe he has another way of doing the same thing but in a new way where the whole body will be used and so we wait until all the pieces come together.   Please be patient with us in this. Africa – We continue to have words given to us about Africa and so the Lord is definitely talking about Africa but he seems to be widening the vision with it all, not just Malawi.   It seems more like at this stage visiting a number of African Countries wherever the Lord leads, empowering people – a bit like the last China trip but for longer and more countries and so too we wait for all the pieces to fit together. He has said to have our bags packed ready to go at a moments notice and so we have done that by faith, there are just a few other things that need to come together to make this possible.    Picton – We were blessed to be part of a team that we...

Moving on from Bulawayo to Mozambique

Dear friends, It has been an interesting time here and the last few days the helper in the house has brought us her relatives and friends to pray for, so plenty of opportunity to impart what the Lord is saying to people and pray for them in their situations.  Walking into town this morning we came across a girl who had been having seizures  what we believe for several hours and needing medical attention lying on the path.  She was not conscious and it was quite scarey at one point, but  as we began praying for her saw life come back into her eyes and see her respond so that was encouraging. We believe it is now time for us to move on from here and so we have booked a bus heading to Harare the captial of Zimbabwe and then onto Mutare which is the boarder town of Mozambique and then onto Chimoio where we will stay with some friends that we met in South Africa who are working in Mozambique.  So we catch a bus on Thursday morning and hopefully will be in Chimoio...

Will you play the piano - will you spit and touch a man's toungue?

We had our worship group the other night and to begin with I saw someone playing the playing so I asked if anyone could and would play the piano because that is what I saw happening in the spirit.  I may have been wrong in the what I saw but I stepped out in faith but alas no one stepped forward to play the piano so Jim played it and I believe in this the Lord was teaching us some valuable lessons.  Jim cannot play the piano at all but he was willing to be used. This morning I was reading in Mark 7:32-35  "There some people brought to him a man who was deaf and could hardly talk, and they begged him to place his hand on the man...    Jesus put his fingers into the man's ears.  Then he spit and touched the man's tongue.  He looked up to heaven and with a deep sigh said to him "Ephphatha!" (which means, "Be opened!).  At this the man's ears were opened, his tongue was loosened and he began to speak plainly. I was reminded of the other night ...

My grace is sufficient.

Yesterday I had three pictures; One, people came bringing bad news. The second, others had been offended and shut me out. And the third, I was on a airport runway and another plane tried to take me off the runway before I could lift off and go where I was going, but I was able to get away from it. As I prayed about these pictures the Lord had given me I believed he said to me; “Be careful who you listen to and go with.  Things are going to try and bring discouragement and shut you out and they will try to take you off track but keep focused.  Build my church”. So discouragement and obstacles are trying to get in the way of the purposes of God being fulfilled in my life and those around me and hence why I share what the Lord showed me because I believe for many in this season of change right now, hold onto what you believe God has said over you and don’t allow the enemy to abort the promises in your life. Something over the last several weeks that keeps c...

Kiwi Culture verses Kingdom Culture

The above is the title of a book that I have on my heart.  Whether or not it ever makes it there we will see but in the process I want to put some thoughts down and see what it opens up. I grew up with phrases like "God helps those who help themselves" or "Too spiritually minded to be any earthly good".  There are many many more that I am sure you know of - I would love to hear them so please blog me about them or Facebook me so I can add them.  But phrases like that that we grew up with that actually have become a part of world view and things we base our lives on.  Things of our culture that are so much a part of culture that we think is actually a part of the bible or at the very least is no big deal in God's eyes; like sarcasm.  I have had to question some of these phrases - "where does it say in the bible God helps those who help themselves?"  "What actually is sarcasm and does it build up and encourage people?" etc. Jim and I lived ...